Rock Pool and Nude

Maris

Rock Pool and Nude

Postby Maris » 01 Jan 2019, 11:39

Rock Pool and Nude
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.4cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.
The model's legs look longer because of the image stretching effect of back tilt on the camera. I couldn't use front tilt because the lens was over the rock pool and too precarious to reach. Falling in could be, er, embarrassing.

Mick Fagan

Re: Rock Pool and Nude

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Jan 2019, 13:55

Maris, really well done.

I viewed this in isolation, meaning it was surrounded by a completely black screen. When viewed like that, everything was correctly illuminated. The highlights, ulna, fingers and chest area, are all held. The deep shadows, a little surprisingly, are also perfectly held. Not sure if you manipulated a bit, heavily, or not at all, but everything was perfect.

As for the actual picture, I like her expression very much.

Yep, falling in the water would be a bit embarrassing.

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Jan 2019, 09:08

Thanks Mick. Contacting out a fully exposed 8x10 negative (Tmax 400 at EI 200) onto variable contrast photographic paper makes tonal control pretty easy with local burn and dodge often not needed at all. The camera shadow is just out of frame at the bottom and the blazing noon sun is shining directly into the models eyes... highly uncomfortable. Hence the uplifted arm to help shade her gaze. The right hand arrangement was clever at the time. Looks a bit contrived now.
Let us praise brave models. There are at least two crabs in the rock pool plus a swarm of little "nibbly" fish and assorted sea anenomies but sliding in an posing is no trouble.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Jan 2019, 11:56

Maris, always good to hear the back story to a picture.

I thought the right hand was perfectly placed and looked natural. Funny how we sometimes sweat over something, only to find that others don't even think about it.

Models sometimes do things that we (photographers) find very uncomfortable when trying the same pose ourselves; praise for them indeed.

Mick.

Return to “People”