Myles

Maris

Myles

Postby Maris » 23 Sep 2015, 09:14

Myles, Marcus Beach Villa.

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Multigrade VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.4cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Plaubel monorail view camera fitted with a 10 inch Commercial Ektar lens.
Titled, signed, and stamped verso.

It's uncommon these days to see photographs of people with cigarettes: too politically incorrect I suppose. But Myles is a droll character who delights in difference.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Myles

Postby Alastair Moore » 24 Sep 2015, 09:34

That's a great portrait! I need to do more portrait photography. I think I might have to make a concerted effort to start doing so. No Tachihara camera on this one?

Maris

Postby Maris » 24 Sep 2015, 10:53

No Tachi for this one. I'm down to eight view cameras about the house but not including the Plaubel 8x10 monorail which is sold. I hope it doesn't hurt its new owner. Plaubels are a typically over-engineered heavy metal European design best used on a studio stand.

alexgard

Postby alexgard » 07 Jan 2016, 23:02

I like this, Maris. Relaxed and elegant. The bare feet and at-ease pose on a serious and no doubt valuable leather couch with seemingly little regard for falling smouldering ash speak character and attitude.. Although I no longer smoke myself (used to be a pack a day smoker) I find it a little sad for impact that smoking is fading from portraiture. The old-time suave edge it adds still rings with me, but will probably lose appreciation over time.

Interesting looking character. Tell me, is there any context behind this image? Is it a friend or someone wanting it for a portolio/professional use. In any case it's very well executed, as expected from you.

Also, I just received the Christmas card from you both today. Thankyou kindly! Motivational to say the least. It takes place on my shelf with the fantastic prints you have sent me which will soon be framed and hung on my walls.

Cheers

Maris

Postby Maris » 08 Jan 2016, 13:02

I have a theory that the best of photographic portraiture is usually sympathetic, occasionally ascerbic, caricature. Everyone has mannerisms, body language, a curl of the lip, the arch of an eyebrow, assorted tics, that project personality and announce their style to strangers. No one does all these "recognition triggers" at the same time but the cunning photographer tries to make it so.

Myles is totally, joyously, over-the-top gay, "faggotty" as he puts it, unhibited, charming, and a brilliant and rarefied wit. He knows when to flirt and when to respect boundaries. Which is a relief for the straight photographer wrangling a heavy view camera. I think I did well with this portrait but Myles' ability to project to the camera may have been even better.

Return to “People”