Mark

alexgard

Mark

Postby alexgard » 26 Oct 2015, 21:25

mark by alex gard, on Flickr

Walter Glover

Re: Mark

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Oct 2015, 21:50

So right and so wonderful on so many levels Alex.

A treat to see it.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

alexgard

Postby alexgard » 26 Oct 2015, 22:07

Thanks Walter, here is the anecdote I provided with the image for those of you who don't use social media

Mark is the exceptionally eccentric and wildly entertaining owner of the 'Emporium' in the small country town of Sheffield, Tasmania.
Mark is a purveyor of the finest junk, classic vinyl records, war memorabilia and books this side of Bass Strait. His merciless and cunning humour is matched only by his encyclopaedic knowledge of history, music, literature and just about any topic you can throw at him. I've been buying vinyl off him for a little while after my friend Tom took me there to check out his collection. I've since enjoyed going there to let him go on his wild tangents and fascinating stories. I've wanted to make this image of him for a little while now. He was stoked to have it taken and then showed me his own personal collection of dry plate negatives and stereoscopic images which he showed me through his vintage 50's stereoscopic viewer.
While I was cleaning and pouring my plate for the shot, he came out into the street with a bugle and started playing army charge calls on it to wolf cry whistles from unseen patrons in other shops throughout the main street.
Fun fact; apparently he owns an army tank.
During one of the town's famous "Mural Festivals", an artist was disqualified for using aerosol paint. The police, yes the police, came and removed the artist as he refused to stop his piece. Mark allowed the artist to paint outside his shop and adorned his facades with "MURAL FEST FASCISTS" signs. Really a man of the people.
If you're in Tassie I highly recommend going and checking out his shop. You really can't miss it. He is a fascinating character and a joy to talk to.
Unfortunately the day was closing fast and it started bucketing down with rain just after I took this plate, the development wasn't as clean as I'd like it to be but it still came out nice in any case.
This is an 8x10 ambrotype on black glass, using my French antique 19th century 14 inch f/4 Darlot Petzval lens. A 1.5 second exposure.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Oct 2015, 03:30

Thank you for the background piece, too, Alex.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “People”