Little Treasures Photography. Studio.

Maris

Little Treasures Photography. Studio.

Postby Maris » 12 Nov 2017, 09:45

Little Treasures Photography, Studio.
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 19.5cm X 24.6cm, from a 8x10 Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5,6 lens.

A couple of cheerful and enterprising girls have had a demountable shed built in the front yard of their house and styled it as a photographic studio. Their target market was "mums and bubs". Having engaging people skills and doing good camera work was not enough to prevail in the "retirement village" demographic of Noosa - not enough customers. Commercial photography is a tough gig.

Walter Glover

Re: Little Treasures Photography. Studio.

Postby Walter Glover » 13 Nov 2017, 05:15

Hats off to the brave souls, Maris. I hope that their resourcefulness and vision pays dividends.

I don't imagine that the bravery extends to shooting "mums and bubs" on film — let alone sheet film. Now, in the present culture that would most definitely be a UNIQUE selling proposition!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 13 Nov 2017, 09:13

Alas Walter, the girl's enterprise lasted but six months. At least no light-sensitive materials were consumed although there was much conscientious wrangling of electronic files.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 13 Nov 2017, 19:03

I like this, the girl in the front makes this for me. Her being where she is, gives it that little lift.

Must have been a bit of soul searching from them as to why their venture didn't succeed, at least they are still young and it would have been a good learning curve for them. One they no doubt didn't wish for, but...

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 14 Nov 2017, 12:30

Mick, you know about the path of photographic commerce leading often to disappointment. I've been asked many times by hopefuls with good camera skills "When do I turn pro?" I always say "After you take a one year course in small business administration!" The camera work is easy compared to keeping the pipeline flowing every day all day with new customers.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 15 Nov 2017, 08:12

Yes I do know about the path required to running a business; rather fortunately, I married a numbers woman. :D

The real funny thing is that I have a quite nice darkroom, which rather unbelievably, was funded, in the main, from photographic jobs done on the side in spare time. Colour negative developing along with the prints obtained from them, were where some reasonably good money lay in the photographic industry. Going out and shooting was hard work, developing negatives and doing good colour prints was also hard work. I concentrated on the part of photography that was consistently returning over and above running costs; colour printing.

I started kicking goals, so to speak, once I picked up a Durst Printo paper processor. Running RA4 paper through it, doing a hand wash then finishing with a paper dryer allowing me to have a semi automated darkroom, meant I was able to churn out some serious numbers of colour prints. Mind you, one did have to get correct colour, correct density, along with sometimes judicious cropping of their negatives; or at least have those parameters correct in the mind of the customer.

If those ladies are still motivated once they pick themselves up off the floor, I'm sure they will eventually find something they like doing that also gives them a livable income; if they are lucky as well as being good, they may also make a tidy profit.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Nov 2017, 21:26

Mick Fagan wrote:Going out and shooting was hard work, developing negatives and doing good colour prints was also hard work.

" 'Work' and 'Play' are two different words used to describe the same activity with just a different attitude. "Mark Twain

And, of course, another slogan that holds a lot of truth is: " The harder I work, the luckier I get. "

How relevant these axioms are in today's commercial photographic environment is, I am happy to say, beyond my current comprehension ..... or concern.

Having said that, I have just had to flirt with the devil in borrowing a digital camera to do a commercial advertising shoot on Friday.

I guess a final axiom that was crocheted into my pillow case as a young bloke and has served me well ever since is: " Winners never quit, and quitters never win. "
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “People”