Moonrise Watchers, Sunshine Beach.

Maris

Moonrise Watchers, Sunshine Beach.

Postby Maris » 14 Feb 2024, 11:00

Moonrise Watchers, Sunshine Beach
Gelatin-silver photograph on Kodak Fine Art VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from an 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative
exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a 300mm f5.6 Fujinon-W lens and a #25 red filter.

There is a thunderstorm rapidly coming up from behind and it will obscure the moon in a couple of minutes. Those people out there don't fear lightning but I picked up the camera and its metal tripod and ran for the car as soon as I got the darkslide in.

Barry Kirsten

Re: Moonrise Watchers, Sunshine Beach.

Postby Barry Kirsten » 15 Feb 2024, 13:21

Great shot, Maris. Dramatic tonality, and composition which could only work in portrait format, I think (love the rocks in the foreground). Nicely timed - you just got it together before the front obscured the moon, and maybe got everyone a drenching.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 18 Feb 2024, 12:16

What a great title, Moonrise Watchers on Sunshine Beach; quite the play on words there Maris. :D

I too think your portrait view is the right choice, I'm particularly enamoured by the three slightly lighter rocks on the creek/river and the lighter patch of sand; they give the overall a bit of a lift.

Good idea to get away from the flat beach area, nothing worse than being used as a conduit for an electrical circuit as it travels up through your feet and legs then exits via your shoulders or head towards the arc coming down through the troposphere.

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Feb 2024, 14:43

Thanks Barry Kirsten and Mick Fagan for your encouraging words.
This moonrise was supposed to be easy and predictable. As usual I set up the day before official full moon so that there is still light in the sky and on the landscape. The online Ephemeris gives me the moon's azimuth so the camera is pointed in the right direction with the desired foreground lined up in advance. Then it's just a question of waiting for the moon and its reflection in the beach pool to culminate "artistically".
Of course it was the unpredictable elements, the storm clouds and the random moon watchers, that really make the picture.
Being there helps but luck helps more.

Return to “People”