Self portrait on paper neg

Ray Heath

Self portrait on paper neg

Postby Ray Heath » 02 Dec 2012, 10:21

Contact print from a FB paper neg exposed in a home made sliding box simple lens camera.

Scanned and presented via PS.

Ray-Aug2012.jpg
Ray-Aug2012.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

jars121

Re: Self portrait on paper neg

Postby jars121 » 02 Dec 2012, 12:24

I LOVE it Ray, great self portrait!

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 02 Dec 2012, 17:54

nice work. Impressive. What was the paper?

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 03 Dec 2012, 20:26

Thnx for the interest jars and hoffy.

This one was captured on an old piece of Ilfospeed RC grade 2, pre-flashed (I think) and of dubious age.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 04 Dec 2012, 20:14

Ray Heath wrote:Thnx for the interest jars and hoffy.

This one was captured on an old piece of Ilfospeed RC grade 2, pre-flashed (I think) and of dubious age.

Nice! That is one of the better paper neg pic's I have seen.

Maris

Postby Maris » 05 Dec 2012, 13:05

Ray Heath wrote:Contact print from a FB paper neg exposed in a home made sliding box simple lens camera.

Scanned and presented via PS.

Ray-Aug2012.jpg

Ray, have you done paper negative portraits using multicontrast paper instead of graded paper?

I see graded paper with its blue sensitivity delivering somewhat exaggerated dark skin tones. This swarthy effect is dramatic for strongly featured male portraits but I doubt if pretty girls and fair damsels would take kindly to it. Maybe a yellow filter in front of the lens with multicontrast paper in the camera would yield paler more luminous skin tones. Or maybe the yellow filter will act like a safelight filter and the paper won't register an image at all. I'm not sure what the possibilities are.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 06 Dec 2012, 13:58

Thnx for the interest and support guys.

Maris, I agree with your assessment, the rendition of skin tones on other than panchromatic materials is at times un-acceptable to some sitters.

As an example see the image of my daughter posted on this same board.

I have tried a few shots on graded paper and a few on variable contrast papers but have yet to do enough test shots to establish a workable technique. I did try a yellow filter on RC paper and got no exposure but I'm unsure what type of paper it was.

Most of my work to date has been on old graded FB paper of unknown age. Some is even slightly fogged but all work really well for my purposes.

The biggest problem I've had with RC multi-contrast paper is that exposure seems to vary with the intensity of sunlight and how much overcast is present. I suspect that the problem is actually more to do with how much UV light is present.
Ray

Return to “People”