Self Portrait on Harman Direct Positive Paper

Maris

Self Portrait on Harman Direct Positive Paper

Postby Maris » 03 Dec 2012, 11:16

This is a picture of me, in costume and woolier than usual, having my photograph taken.

Old-time Photographer

Gelatin-silver photograph on Harman Direct Positive Paper 8x10 exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.
The Harman Direct positive Paper was pre-flashed to reduce contrast and then given a camera exposure of 3 seconds at f5.6. Development was in Dektol 1+2, fix was in Hypam 1+4, and a 30 minute archival wash followed.
Lighting was from a skylight in a traditionally arranged photographic studio without electricity.
This photograph like all direct positive reflective images (Daguerreotypes, Ambrotypes, Tintypes for example) is mirror reversed with respect to the subject.

The photograph is signed, titled, and stamped on the back.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Self Portrait on Harman Direct Positive Paper

Postby Alastair Moore » 03 Dec 2012, 11:58

I love these self portraits. Thanks for sharing! I'm considering capturing my own self portrait. The question remains - who fired the shutter though? And is it actually a self portrait if someone else did? :)

jars121

Postby jars121 » 03 Dec 2012, 12:17

I'm with Alistair, these self-portraits are awesome. I particularly like this one. Truth be told, I didn't understand much of what you wrote about the process Maris :P I'm still learning with all this stuff, and most of that was well beyond me!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 03 Dec 2012, 12:38

Just out of interest, if anyone can point me to a source of harman direct positive paper, I'd like that very much. Keen to give it a go!

jars121

Postby jars121 » 03 Dec 2012, 13:02

Am I correct in assuming that 'direct positive paper' is used instead of a film medium?

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Dec 2012, 09:13

Alastair Moore wrote:I love these self portraits. Thanks for sharing! I'm considering capturing my own self portrait. The question remains - who fired the shutter though? And is it actually a self portrait if someone else did? :)

Auto-Knips mechanical self-timer that fits on the end of any cable release. The timer also offers a long exposure function (1 to 12 seconds) for very consistent results... better than counting hippopotamuses or Mississippis every second.

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Dec 2012, 09:19

Alastair Moore wrote:Just out of interest, if anyone can point me to a source of harman direct positive paper, I'd like that very much. Keen to give it a go!

I buy Harman Direct Positive Paper direct from Harman in the UK. They have a direct sales department that is quite willing to take your money. I did have an extended contretemps with them over excessive pricing. It turns out that their operator quoted UK domestic prices that include VAT. Insist on the export price that is VAT free!

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Dec 2012, 09:31

jars121 wrote:Am I correct in assuming that 'direct positive paper' is used instead of a film medium?

Yes! Just expose, develop, fix, and wash...voila, a gelatin-silver positive image on paper base. No film required. Because my darkroom is only a few steps from the studio I allow 5 minutes between "click" and final (wet) picture. Not as fast as Polaroid but close. And all this comes at about half the price of a "cheap" 8x10 film.

The downside is that Harman DPP is a short scale material with exposure being very critical because there is no pos/neg step to refine tonal changes.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 04 Dec 2012, 10:02

Cheers Maris! I'm going to get onto them and order a pack.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 09 Dec 2012, 19:28

For a couple of extra steps you can reverse process normal paper.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum426/891 ... ess-2.html - Post 17

Return to “People”