Stu and Tori

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Stu and Tori

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Jun 2013, 19:55

Stu is my friend from back home in the UK although he lives here now. We hadn't seen each other in about 5 years and bumped into each other in Sydney, which was very bizarre but amazing to see him again. Tori is his fiancé.

I captured this image on Saturday with my Tachi 8x10 using TMax 400 (pushed to 800) after spending an afternoon mostly with a beer in my hand. So I was surprised that a. the exposure was pretty much dead on, b. it's pretty sharp (I didn't use a loupe), c. the grain is very fine for 400 film pushed to 800. I developed it in D76 for 10 minutes.

This is the first photograph I've shot featuring people, using a large format camera so overall I'm really pleased with the result. Unfortunately Tori is a fair bit softer than Stu - I shot this at f/11 as light was dropping and really expected the depth of field to be far more shallow than it is. I'll print it at 13x19 and see how it turns out - if Tori is too soft at that size, I'll try it at 8x10 and I don't think it will be too noticeable.

Edit. just opened up the scanner to scan another negative and noticed the negative was slightly curved on the scanner bed. So that might explain the softness on Tori. Oh for a drum scanner!

Walter Glover

Re: Stu and Tori

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Jun 2013, 21:14

Proud moment for you Alastair,

I would not be scanning the image and enlarging it. A contact print from the darkroom makes for a far more memorable gift, to say nothing of a far better image.

Have you got 8x10 sleeves for the negs?

With 8x10 (even 4x5 for that matter) you can't rely on f-stops to get you home in the focus department. You have to either ensure that you have the subjects placed in line parallel to the image plane OR you have to use movements.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Jun 2013, 21:25

Walter Glover wrote:Proud moment for you Alastair,

I would not be scanning the image and enlarging it. A contact print from the darkroom makes for a far more memorable gift, to say nothing of a far better image.

Have you got 8x10 sleeves for the negs?

With 8x10 (even 4x5 for that matter) you can't rely on f-stops to get you home in the focus department. You have to either ensure that you have the subjects placed in line parallel to the image plane OR you have to use movements.

I think you're probably right, a contact print is really in order. I'll do that this week - will head down to the darkroom and give it a go!

I've got 8x10 sleeves, yep! Had I been a touch more sober, I think I would have got more of my processes in place and at least used my loupe to check the focus but it was a party and I was surrounded by a load of people fascinated by the camera so got a little sloppy but thankfully not too sloppy!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Jun 2013, 21:29

This was the second portrait I shot. Same location, different couple (Daniel I hadn't seen in about 8 years, so that was a big surprise too!)

Return to “People”