Barry, I was very interested in retaining as much detail in the limbs as possible, until I got home and checked the neg out with a loupe, I wasn't too sure. Luck was riding with me all the way for this shot, by happening to go for another stroll before lunch, to placing my polariser in my bag; normally I only carry a red and orange filter for an inland holiday. It was the form of the limbs that first pulled me to this tree, working out when and where to shoot it, was the hardest problem.
Maris, the reason the foreground sedges are more or less in acceptable focus, was the deciding reason to change from a 210mm lens to the shorter 150mm. And yes, f/22 was a requirement to get them acceptable. As for the negative scan possibly having problems, I think you are correct. I have just checked my print, clear; checked the negative, clear. As this is about the 10th negative I have scanned in my life, I put the blemishes, which are there in the web version, but not in my squillions of MB original file, down to my scanning technique and post scanning saving technique.
I know very little about scanning, my previous Aldi flatbed scanner giving up the ghost around 4-5 years ago, I haven't been able to convert anything for electronic viewing since. I picked up an Epson V800 scanner in December last year. The better half spent the rest of December and the first half of January scanning around 1,000 slides from around 40 years ago. I have only really had use of the scanner for a couple of weeks; she gets the scanner back for the next installment of slide scanning shortly.
The best part about that scanning wait, was that it enabled me to spend a fair amount of time in the darkroom catching up on a few printing jobs, immensely pleasing.
Many thanks to both of you.