Murdering Creek, Logs and Snags.

Maris

Murdering Creek, Logs and Snags.

Postby Maris » 05 Aug 2018, 11:57

Murdering Creek, Logs and Snags
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 19.6cm X 24.4cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

Walter Glover

Re: Murdering Creek, Logs and Snags.

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Aug 2018, 21:16

Tranquility and calm. What a wonderful sanctuary of escape.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 06 Aug 2018, 15:39

Love the name, wonder if its because of something that happened many moons ago?

Hmm, very nice, but I wonder if you had considered burning in the top right branches coming out of the water by ½ to 1 stop darker?

When I look at the image with the light colours of the bulletin board surrounding it, it looks very good. However, when I isolate the image to view on its own and I remove all the extraneous coloured back ground so my screen is all black; except for your image, the relative brightness of those branches change greatly.

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 07 Aug 2018, 12:26

Ah, Mick, to burn or not to burn; that is the question. This photograph is an 8x10 contact and the bright branches are very small so I let them go almost to paper-base white. The (good/bad) excuse behind this is that the viewer would not expect to see detail in such a small area and won't complain when the detail is not there . Now if this picture was planned as a big enlargement then definitely burn or mask to bring out details in top highlights. Big blank white areas in a photograph tend to look false.

Return to “Places”