Centreless composition

Maris

Centreless composition

Postby Maris » 26 Jan 2015, 14:10

Edward Weston's last photograph, Rocks and Pebbles, 1948 has no centre. It should not work but I think it does.

So I tried a centreless composition that looked quite nice upside down on the ground-glass of the 8x10. Success, self deception, failure?

Views of Snow Gums, number 3

Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 19.6cm X 24.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens. Titled, signed, and stamped verso.

RoganJosh

Re: Centreless composition

Postby RoganJosh » 27 Jan 2015, 22:08

When you say Centreless are you talking about the actual physical centre of the frame? or by Centreles do you mean there is no main focal point? If the former of the two, you could argue that the curved tree that enters from the left leads the viewers eye to the centre of the frame.

If the latter, I would say it's a successful study. There is no main focal point nor is it governed by clinical geometric division like most photographs.

Personally, I think it's the best photo of yours that I've seen so far. It's not neat and it knows it. This is progression in my books. Reminds me of one of the later Van Gogh paintings of the twisted roots and the shifting perspective.

Just my opinion yo, I'm no art critic.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Centreless composition

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Feb 2015, 23:12

I love this, Maris. There's a lot of elements to the photograph and every time you think there's nothing more to see, something else in the frame shows up. I would love to see more like this!

Return to “Places”