Little Venice, London

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Little Venice, London

Postby Alastair Moore » 09 Feb 2015, 22:06

A quick scan of a negative I developed this weekend from my year on the boat.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Little Venice, London

Postby Alastair Moore » 09 Feb 2015, 22:08

Ps. see that boat on the right? Not the big one, the smaller one in front of it? That was mine.

The big, big one on the left is Richard Bransons.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 09 Feb 2015, 22:31

Another one from Little Venice

Maris

Postby Maris » 11 Feb 2015, 11:21

Very interesting: a classic symmetrical composition on top, all quiet, calm, and repose, and an asymmetrical one below. The bottom picture has little leaves and branches nicked in along the top; a nice touch that works every time. But look at the water around the boats. It's almost solid with floating debris. What must it be like to actually live on a boat?

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 11 Feb 2015, 14:04

Thanks kindly for the thoughts, Maris. It was a crazy time living on the boat alright. Brilliant fun but very modest living and rarely a day would go by when I didn't bang my head on something (the door frame mainly) or bang my knee against the iron stove. I'd certainly do it again.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 11 Feb 2015, 18:19

I spent a night on a canal boat docked in the middle of Sheffield in the middle of winter a few years ago. I was working over there, and had my "boss", a 5'4" Texan with an almost terminal case of Small Mans' Syndrome aboard.

We had been out for a feed somewhere, and over the couple of hours' spent at a restaurant, he had proceeded to get schtinkin' drunk and telling me that I'm not able to keep up with him (drinkwise). Bit silly, as I'm about 6'3" and was pretty pissfit after being over there for a while. After he embarrassed me by calling me a devil worshiper at the top of his voice in a pretty well to do restaurant, I got him back to the boat and sent him to the stern to his room. I stayed up for another hour or two, not-so-gently rocking the vessel from side to side. I repeat: not-so-gently rocking the vessel from side to side.

Anyway, the next morning, we rock up to the law firm with whom we were dealing with. The Seppo, now a little green, says that he wants to get something to eat. So, we head to the local GREGGS' Bakery and I order a greasy egg'n'bacon Bap in front of him. He kindly sought his leave, staggered to the train station, and promptly spent 2 hours vomiting his way back to London.

Ah, a pompous, self-righteous, smug and rude American with a hangover is a dish certainly best served hungover! The memory hangs think in the air...

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 11 Feb 2015, 19:56

Haha good work Lachlan! Good story :) I had an incident on my boat about 1am in the morning when I was reading just before going to sleep. I felt some movement on my boat and just assumed it was the guy who had double-moored on to my boat climbing over mine to get to his. It used to happen all the time, and it was fine. However, the movement kept on going and I heard some rattling about in the living area of the boat.

I jumped out of bed and went into the living area to see an Eastern European guy stood there. I couldn't believe it and wasn't sure whether to be pissed off or scared. I think I was a bit of both. I asked him what the fuck he was doing on my boat and he nervously came back with "oh erm, who are you? what's your name?" "It doesn't matter what the fuck my name is! Get off my boat!" and managed to kind of bundle him out. He had a couple of mates outside saying they were looking for a mate John or Pete or something. It was the only time I forgot to lock the front door of the boat, didn't do it again. Although a few months later, I did wake up to find who I thought was a homeless guy sleeping in the bow of the boat. Gave him a big nudge and it turns out he'd been out the night before, got pissed and thought my boat was his. Sure.

On a positive note, my mate's boat and mine played host to a model shoot.

I should have and no idea why I didn't, jump on the opportunity to grab a photo with my big camera.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 15 Feb 2015, 09:58

Greats stories guys, keep going.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Return to “Places”