What I've been up to

alexgard

What I've been up to

Postby alexgard » 23 Jun 2015, 18:17

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here. I haven't fallen off the end of the earth, well, I did for a while but I'm back again. I've been super busy cramming my head trying to learn this wet plate collodion stuff. Any other form of photography has taken a backseat (IE I'm not doing anything else at all), I still have a ton of film from my last Antarctic stint to get developed...!

Here is one of my more recent images, most succesful thus far. I've made a few but have just been nutting out chemical issues and technique etc... far from being 'good' but I have a vision for what I want to do with 'wet plate' and I think it will compliment it perfectly.

Anyway, this was made yesterday in the Southern Midlands of Tasmania, just outside of Bothwell. It's an 8x10 black glass ambrotype.

Really hope to get this process down pat and put out some nice clean images. Hope everyone is well and faring the winter well :)

Alex

RoganJosh

Re: What I've been up to

Postby RoganJosh » 24 Jun 2015, 03:04

I love the imperfections to be honest. How much are you spending per plate? is it much more than film?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 24 Jun 2015, 06:53

Alex are developing your negative any different now that your doing this process ?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 24 Jun 2015, 06:54

Never mind , that was a dumb question. There is no negative in this process. Fack lm stupid sometimes

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 24 Jun 2015, 07:25

Love this latest venture of yours Alex, I've been following it keenly on the other forum. I really liked this one too - I like the composition and also see a humorous element in the top rock of the pile which looks like a mouse looking on. (Am I mad?) I'm eagerly awaiting your next examples.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 24 Jun 2015, 08:47

Much of the inherent beauty of all traditional techniques and materials is the reverence paid to the wonders of the aberration which stands in stark contrast to the sanitised, homogenised, pasteurised perfect blandness of the alleged perfection of digital.

Wondrous stuff Alex! Keep at it. I am a doting admirer of the world of Sally Mann and she has had much to say about the inherent laws in her wet-collodion work.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

alexgard

Postby alexgard » 24 Jun 2015, 09:07

It's hard to say how much I'm spending per plate, Josh. There's a lot of cost factors. The glass costs me $130/meter (but if you don't like an image you can simply clean it off and re-use the plate). The silver costs about $100 for a 1 litre tank (about 90g) that will last for a long time given proper care, with only minimal top-ups with silver every couple of days (less than a gram)

All the other chemicals and equipment involved I really couldn't give you an estimate and I'd hate to even attempt to for fear of shocking myself with how much money I've blown getting all this set up. At home I've got a make-shift lab with bottles, beakers, powders, chemicals, scales, hot plates, glass, filters, pH strips, hydrometer and a bunch of other crap. I'm waiting for the day our landlord pulls us aside and asks us if we're up to no good down there in the basement LOL. My van has been converted into a crude dark-tent for making these plates in the field, all the equipment cost a pretty penny... But to answer your question I think yes to make a plate is much more expensive than film. One big draw for me to this process is at the end of a shoot you have the finished product in your hand. I don't have a darkroom/enlarger so for me using film just means scanning negatives and bypassing having a tangible object in my hands. It's a remarkable process and even if everything goes wrong it's quite rewarding. But even before starting there was a good 2-3 weeks of being at home mixing up chemicals and waiting for certain chemicals to ripen, cleaning plates, de-burring them, getting everything ready. The initial setting up process was intense and work-heavy. Massive respect for the guys that were doing this back in the day for a living.

Shane, there is actually a negative. An "ambrotype", or positive image, is actually an under-exposed negative. If I were to considerably prolong the exposure time and use a different developer formula and use clear glass I would end up with a negative that you can print from. When you pour the developer onto the plate, with 15-16 seconds a negative image appears on the glass. When you put it in the fixer you can watch the negative become a positive image before your eyes. Very cool. Also, I actually haven't even done any film work since I started this, as I said I stil have heaps of film in the fridge to develop. But I would say no, I would not be developing film any differently, they are two completely different processes. The wet plate process you hold the plate in your hand and pour developer over it and hold for 15 seconds before stopping with water, in your dark tent, then you can take it outside daylight and put it in the fixer/wash.

Regarding the imperfections, yes I know a lot of people do enjoy the imperfections and they certainly do add character, but at the end of the day they are flaws and error in technique and chemistry, and if you were to take it seriously you would want to be trying to constantly improve. As much as flaws in the WPC process do add character, a perfectly executed plate is incredible. I hope to one day get there.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Jul 2015, 11:37

I would absolutely love to try my hand at wet plate photography. But like many other things, it'll probably have to wait. I'm currently enjoying finally making wet prints, which has been a long time coming but as you say, having a final, finished product in your hand straight after a shoot must be a great thing, particularly on the material you have it on. There's definitely something very special about wet plate photography and at the very least, if all goes to pot and the manufacturers stop making film, at least there's an alternative!

alexgard

Postby alexgard » 05 Jul 2015, 20:06

At this rate, Alastair, it looks like it's going to be the only way I make images. Seriously considering selling off all my other camera gear to fund this project.
Here's an 8x10 plate from today. I was having lots of issues with peeling collodion in the fixer. Got a little advice and sorted that out with albumen substrate around the edges of the plate. No peeling now. Just need to sort out the consistency issues you see here in the right/bottom right corner, otherwise I am very happy with today's efforts. My varnishing is getting really, really good. I'm getting a very even coating of varnish on my plates which is pleasing, considering a lot of people fear the final varnishing step. My plates are coming up with a semi-matte finish. My varnish was filtered 10 times, maybe overkill, but it's very light and very watery in it's consistency.

Taken today on Hollow Tree Road, Southern Midlands, Tasmania
8x10 black glass ambrotype, 300mm Nikkor @ f/11. 12 second exposure.

The level of detail in these things is absolutely incredible. Mindblowing. You hold it up to your face and you can just see every single tiny little detail. You will never see resolution like this on any digital print, I daresay it might be pretty close to surpassing contact prints as far as resolution goes? I don't know, though. Scans do not do these things justice. Scanning is quite tricky, I can't quite get it to look as punchy as the actual plate. It looks a little flat here.

Anyhow, onward and upward!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 05 Jul 2015, 21:18

Very inspiring Alex.

Return to “Places”