Huntworth Creek

alexgard

Huntworth Creek

Postby alexgard » 12 Sep 2016, 00:23

11x11 inch tintype

Bit of a hiatus since starting up study of fine arts at Uni and moving house, other life stuff etc. Good to get the van/darkroom back into swing and make some plates. Made some big changes to the mobile darkroom giving me much more room to work in and makes the whole process much less stressful.

Slight technical problem with the dark slide of the chamonix 11x14 plate holder with 11x11 plate inserts pushes the plate too harshly against the dark slide, resulting in some scraping and emulsion damage you can see, otherwise I am pretty happy with the development and marginally improved technique on these larger plates. Starting to feel much more comfortable using larger plates. More relaxed and methodical. Having a while off to think and meditate on the process has proven beneficial. Thought deeply about where I'm going wrong and practicing criticism and self analysis much more thoroughly these days. But as all things in life, where 2 errors are corrected, another 1 or 2 pop up elsewhere...

Anyway, got the bug again. Hope all are well. Hope to make the next LF gathering this time around as I doubt I'll be heading South again this summer. Hope to see some of you there.

Walter Glover

Re: Huntworth Creek

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Sep 2016, 07:43

Wonderful!! It is a privilege to witness your journey.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 12 Sep 2016, 16:51

Great work, Alex; a powerful composition.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 12 Sep 2016, 18:48

Great photo. It reminds me of this by AA Image

What do you plan on doing with your fine arts degree if you don't mind me asking?

Maris

Postby Maris » 18 Sep 2016, 07:22

Alex, I reckon Huntworth Creek is worth a re-shoot to get an unscuffed plate. The composition is that good. Nearly all the presentable tintypes are of people where the sitter's presence transcends a few plate defects. A clean tintype of a perfect landscape is a very rare thing indeed!

Return to “Places”