Dromadary Vines

alexgard

Dromadary Vines

Postby alexgard » 05 Jun 2017, 21:44

11x14 clear glass ambrotype I made last week.

I am still in the frustrating throes of trying to master this size. Slowly getting better. Two steps forward, one and half steps back it seems. All I really need to get on top of is the flow of developer, I've tried a few different techniques but none seem to give consistent results so there is one last resort I have to try tomorrow with the introduction of a little developer kind of slot, that I can rest the plate in and pour developer over more freely without worrying about the glass slipping out of my hand.

Anyway, this shot is of a neat little cluster of willows I found out towards New Norfolk covered in these ivy vines. Plenty of neat compositions around here, I am going to go back out there again tomorrow and have another play.

This is a 12 minute exposure at f/45, really pushing the limits of how far you can use the wet and light sensitive collodion before it starts drying out, rendering the plate useless. There is no reciprocity failure or compensation to speak of with this emulsion (thankfully!).

Using my Chamonix 11x14 camera and a new-to-me Schneider G-Claron 240mm f/11 lens which I must say I am absolutely in love with. Not too wide that it looks absurd in my opinion. Exposure was made by removing and replacing the lens cap.

This plate was scanned after the it had been varnished and the reverse painted black with acrylic paint.

Varnished plates are much trickier to scan than unvarnished, the tonality is much harder to digitally replicate so it doesn't look as nice as I'd like. Clear glass ambro's have to be scanned varnished because you have to varnish them before you paint the reverse, as you can't heat the acrylic paint to apply the varnish (if that makes sense).

Walter Glover

Re: Dromadary Vines

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Jun 2017, 06:17

Alex,

I understand and respect the concern with the materials and techniques that you speak of, but for me photography is about images; pictures; moments and situations preserved; and so this is a pure delight of texture, form, light and form.

Thanks for sharing,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Barry Kirsten

Re: Dromadary Vines

Postby Barry Kirsten » 06 Jun 2017, 06:48

I was impressed when I saw this image on the other place. Wet plate is an unknown quantity for me and I've remarked before on your great wet plate images. As Walter said, 'hats off' to you Alex.

Return to “Places”