First few rolls from my RealitySoSubtle 6x17 pinhole

alexgard

First few rolls from my RealitySoSubtle 6x17 pinhole

Postby alexgard » 26 Jun 2017, 18:03

I picked up the first couple of rolls from the RealitySoSubtle pinhole camera.

Didn't really spend a great deal of time chasing magic shots. Was on a hike with mum at Cape Raoul and thought it was a good chance to test it. Also, she lost her shit every time I got too close to the cliff edge LOL.
Low solstice afternoon light. Would have been nicer if we'd walked it early morning.

First impressions of the camera are that it is fun and a novelty to shoot with. Relatively simple. I underestimated the need for a sturdy tripod. The 'viewfinder' lines make composition much easier. This focal length is very very wide!
I was metering with my phone Lightmeter App and then applying it to the guided exposure adjustments (1/30 metered becomes 20 seconds etc) and just applying very rough reciprocity calculations (doubling the metered exposure time if greater than 1 second for Portra, tripling for the Agfa film then tacking an extra 5 seconds on the end for good measure)

The scanned film has had very minimal adjustments. Just cleaned up some dust and (tried to) corrected the colour cast on a couple of the longer exposures. Portra was pretty forgiving and the rough exposure times seemed pretty spot on!

Loading the film in it is an absolute pain in the ass. Even after you get used to how it loads it is still a nuisance.

My only criticism is that it would have been cool to perhaps have a spring loaded shutter release cable option or something. And making film easier to load but that's about it. And maybe a tripod hole on the side of the camera so you can do vertical shots easier but I could probably just use a better tripod. Mind you I'm in no position to criticise but if he wants design improvements then that's about all I can suggest. Other than that it is fun, simple and easy. Very light too.

I don't know how long I'll hang onto this camera. I had big ideas and ambitions when I impulse bought it whilst I was on the boat. I might give it a couple more rolls and see how I go, I'm not really a big coast/sea shooter and prefer the woods so I'll give it a crack out bush.

And our local colour film developer is closing down soon and I'm a little hesitant to hang onto it due to film costs to be perfectly honest but as far as pinhole photos go they are surprisingly sharp. If anyone is interested in buying the camera off me feel free to get in touch.
Last edited by alexgard on 26 Jun 2017, 21:08, edited 9 times in total.

alexgard

Re: First few rolls from my RealitySoSubtle 6x17 pinhole (att. Shane)

Postby alexgard » 26 Jun 2017, 18:08

Sorry more coming just fixing the flickr links

alexgard

Re: First few rolls from my RealitySoSubtle 6x17 pinhole (att. Shane)

Postby alexgard » 26 Jun 2017, 18:12

Last edited by alexgard on 26 Jun 2017, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Kirsten

Re: First few rolls from my RealitySoSubtle 6x17 pinhole

Postby Barry Kirsten » 27 Jun 2017, 06:52

Nice work Alex. James uses the same pinholes as I do, electron microscope apertures from a guy in the US. They are ultra precise and produce lovely images. The trick is getting the right size for the 'focal length'. Have you considered b&w film? A lot cheaper than colour and no problem with finding someone to process it.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 27 Jun 2017, 09:26

Thanks for posting those Alex. Im really torn about 6x17, like the format but not having a 5x7 enlarger means I cannot print them. I tempted to make a 1:3 in 135 film and see how they enlarge to 4x12.
I wonder how loading would be, it looks a torrid film path and it would be easy to fog the first frame I think.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 27 Jun 2017, 12:56

Over the years, I've found that I prefer 1:2.5 ratio to 1:3.

Somewhere around 6x14 or 6x15 just seems easier to find, compose and shoot.

Return to “Places”