Bald Rock Creek, Girraween National Park.

Maris

Bald Rock Creek, Girraween National Park.

Postby Maris » 14 Jan 2018, 13:08

Bald Rock Creek, Girraween National Park
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 24.5cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens.

Mick Fagan

Re: Bald Rock Creek, Girraween National Park.

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Jan 2018, 10:47

This brings back memories of when I had just met my wife in the early eighties and we visited this NP. Being from Germany she has an almost unbelievable knack of pronouncing most names and words; she speaks three languages and is able to muddle through a couple of others. But she was speechless about how the one could pronounce Boonoo Boonoo the way we do.

We had a wonderful time walking Bald Rock, even venturing into Queensland. I was on a motorcycle so only had my Nikon reflex camera and while I did take the odd picture or two of the magnificent rock formations, I mostly and unashamedly took pictures of my new girlfriend.

We have desired to go back there if we are able, I will certainly have my 4x5” camera with me if we do. Currawinya NP in far west Queensland reminds me; in a few select places, of Bald Rock NP. The granite tors there are quite photogenic.

I like the placement, or inclusion, of the small white piece of timber that almost looks like driftwood in the bottom left corner of the picture. It adds a balance that otherwise would be missing, I feel.

The small tree in the right balances the other half of the picture. The row of trees growing in the other major crack draws our eyes up towards the general landscape to give one an overall scene setting.

To the creek itself; the amount of reflection, possibly combined with a shutter speed you have picked, enables one to see that the water is in fact flowing. It can sometimes be tricky getting water to look like it is flowing, not here though.

The more I study this the more I like it. I have viewed it a few times since you posted it, letting each visit give me another reason to enjoy it more.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Re: Bald Rock Creek, Girraween National Park.

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Feb 2018, 04:45

But she was speechless about how the one could pronounce Boonoo Boonoo the way we do

I am not familiar with the pronunciation but can only imagine it is similar to the town of Goonoo-Goonoo on the Liverpool plains. "Gunny Ga Noo"?

I, too, have been contemplating the orphaned sun bleached twig. Brought to mind Heraclitus and his notion that No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”