Bronco Yard Diamantina NP Qld

Mick Fagan

Bronco Yard Diamantina NP Qld

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Jan 2018, 18:53

This was somewhere before the halfway mark of a 90km one way drive through part of Diamantina NP in Qld. Which is really the whole of the Diamantina Station, now owned by Qld NP's. It's a pretty big station, we used up around 400km of our fuel tank just in the park.

The steel fence wire, was integral to my vision; I thought long and hard how to frame as film was precious being at the tail end of a near 3 month trip.

Shen Hao 4x5" wooden folder.
FP4+
Fujinon 65mm with centre filter.

Mick.

150108_Diamantina_NP_Bronco_Yard_On_Circuit_Track_65_Centre_Filter_FP4+_1140hr_004_Web.jpg

Maris

Re: Bronco Yard Diamantina NP Qld

Postby Maris » 17 Jan 2018, 08:43

Mick, that is a well seen and iconic bit of Australian construction. With a few posts and unlimited 8 gauge wire anything can be built; like a fence corner that still stands after the fence is gone. I see what you mean about the virtues of your famous (notorious?) centre filter. That big expanse of sky shows such smooth tonality.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 17 Jan 2018, 18:29

Maris, this was one of the few instances on that trip where having the CF made the difference between having something I wanted, or just walking away. As soon as I saw this fence I pretty much knew what I wanted and knew the 65mm was the lens; I wasn’t 100% sure about the CF though. That changed as soon as I looked through the GG without the CF. Placing the CF on the GG dramatically changed the image, even my wife agreed.

Normally she doesn’t look too often at the GG image as she wishes to get on with her own electronic photography. But the wind was so severe, I couldn’t keep the camera still as the dark cloth was acting as a spinnaker. So I employed my wife to keep one foot on a tripod leg and stand in between me and the wind, as well as holding the dark cloth away from my face so I could compose and focus. As it was, I was on my knees with the camera about 200mm above the ground and about 500mm away from the closest fence wire loop on the ground.

I also timed the exposure (1/15) to occur, when a slight lull in the wind stopped the fence wires from vibrating. I sort of made a mistake, in that I used f/22, which is pretty standard for most of my stuff, as, mostly, f/22 is where manufacturers make the sweet spot for image quality to be. Back in the ute and driving along being very happy with what I had taken, I remembered that the Fujinon 65mm has best image quality at f/16; oh well.

But yes, the CF is a piece of kit that is almost always on the 65mm lens and as you mention, the evenness of bland areas right across the frame, is something to behold and makes using this quite wide angled lens, easy as anything to use; so to speak.

Mick.

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 27 Jan 2018, 17:47

The image doses successfully capture the uniqueness of the Australian outback its vastness and incredibly harsh conditions.
The vestiges of human intervention seem to tell a sad story - ultimately nature wins and we are humbled.
Great work!

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 28 Jan 2018, 08:06

"Ultimately nature wins and we are humbled."

That pretty much sums up what I saw and tried to capture. I don't often get to realise an image I had in my mind, as well as this.

Thank you for your comments.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Feb 2018, 04:54

Yep, this is a cracker .... and in great part due to the CF filter. Over time I have spent a king's ransom on Centre-Filters and have never regretted a penny of it.

Just the fickle sort of chap I am, I am curious of the story in the picture might have possibly benefitted from the inclusion of wind-induced wire wobble stretched between stoicly rigid posts.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 11 Feb 2018, 08:10

Walter, the straining wire between the corner post and the two brace posts, were probably as taught as the day they were put in place. Quite remarkable when you consider how they were probably originally placed and with what tools to hand the workers had. All wire on and around these three posts, weren't moving.

What was moving, was the immediate foreground plain wire, not the barbed wire. I wasn't sure whether or not to take the picture when the wire was moving, or when it was still; in the end I opted for stillness.

I only exposed one sheet, so I'll never know...

Mick.

Return to “Places”