Tooronga River

Mick Fagan

Tooronga River

Postby Mick Fagan » 09 Sep 2018, 14:10

Tooronga River, Victoria.

Shen Hao HZX-II A 4x5 wooden folder Fujinon 150 2' at f/22.

Probably the first time I used rear shift in a landscape environment, 8mm of it.

Mick.

Edit, something went wrong I cannot view the attachment, will look at it to see if I can find the mistake. Found it, uploaded a TIFF file instead of a jpeg.

120007_Tooronga_River_FP4_150_8mm_shift_2_Second_f22_008_web.jpg

Maris

Re: Tooronga River

Postby Maris » 10 Sep 2018, 09:27

Good one Mick. That's the sort of perfection that well deployed large format film delivers.
Please tell more about the 8mm back shift. Why not just pan the camera to get the composition?

Mick Fagan

Re: Tooronga River

Postby Mick Fagan » 10 Sep 2018, 12:07

Maris, there are gaps in the vegetation, using one of these gaps I worked my way to the edge of the river. I knew what I wanted, which was the fallen tree approximately where it is.

My tripod was straddling another log and rock with two legs, with the third tripod leg resting on the fallen tree; my position therefore, was where it was.

To eliminate a lot of the foliage directly on the right becoming very prominent, shift was needed to ensure my vision, such as it was/is, was maintained.

As I mentioned, I think this was the first time I have used shift in a landscape, don't think I have used it for a landscape since. But one never knows, eh?

For what it is worth, I've just consulted my notes and read them fully, shift of 8mm and rise of 17mm. My tripod was extended fully, but because of the difficulty of getting stability on my preferred location, tripod height was a bit hampered.

Metered was one second, I made it two seconds using T and counting one thousand... My experience with these kinds of speeds told me to use two seconds and it worked, it is a nice negative. Cropped at the top, but left to right virtually to the edges, as you see it.

Mick.

Return to “Places”