Grass and Herbs, Mt Wheatley Track

Maris

Postby Maris » 01 Jan 2019, 11:21

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.4cm X 16.3cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens.
It was just starting to rain with the car about 400metres away. The question was whether to set up for the photograph and ultimately get wet or run for the car and maybe get wet....chose to click!

Mick Fagan

Re: Grass and Herbs, Mt Wheatley Track

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Jan 2019, 14:05

Well I'm glad that you chose to get a bit wet, certainly an interesting light. I think super flat lighting for certain subjects works very well, as it has here.

I wonder though whether you have considered cropping out the top dark section, my take on the scene is this would give stronger emphasis on the two dark shrub like plants.

Very nice any way you present it, though.

Does your Tachihara have plasticised bellows? My Shen Hao has plasticised bellows essentially being light rain waterproof, but the bag bellows are a leather type of product that absorbs water like a chamois.

Mick.

Maris

Re: Grass and Herbs, Mt Wheatley Track

Postby Maris » 05 Jan 2019, 09:23

Mick, the top of the picture is a compromise. I wanted to keep the gentle curve of the knoll carpeted in yellow frosted-off grass against the darker hillside. Oh, and there is a ski guide pole in there as well. Can't have cross-country skiers getting lost in their winter wonderland trip from Perisher to Charlotte Pass.
Tachihara bellows are sheepskin over a black silk lining and are not rainproof. But my focussing cloth is so if I get caught in a downpour I do a wrap 'n run with the covered camera still on its tripod slung over a shoulder.

Return to “Places”