Result Creek Falls

Barry Kirsten

Result Creek Falls

Postby Barry Kirsten » 06 Mar 2020, 09:33

Result Creek Falls, Errinundra, East Gippsland. 2000. Tachihara 4x5 with 90mm Super Angulon. Tmax 400 rated at 320, developed in PMK. 8x10 enlargement on Ilford MGFB Warmtone satin surface developed in ID-78.

A friend commented on the weak blacks in this print. I believe this is due to the surface which I have found very difficult to get good shadow detail with. In fact prints seem flat overall and lack the detail and sparkle of a glossy FB paper. When I bought this paper a few years ago I think the satin surface was the only one B&H had in Warmtone at the time. It's the only FB paper I have at the moment, and fortunately this is the last print from it. The scan at 1200dpi even seems to pick up some of the satin surface texture.

I'm glad i was able to find this site. I had good directions, but the area was so overgrown that I couldn't find the track - until I saw a sign partly covered by vegetation saying, Track Closed'.
Attachments
Result Ck print linear op313 copy.jpg

Mick Fagan

Re: Result Creek Falls

Postby Mick Fagan » 12 Mar 2020, 15:02

Interesting comments Barry.

I myself was mostly underwhelmed when Ilford came out with their new warmtone paper, somewhere around 2007-2008 I seem to remember. One of the boxes I bought was satin; which some 30 + years ago was my standard paper for portraits as it seemed to have a softening effect that looked good to me.

I see what you mean about the lack of contrast, was your ID-78 fresh, as in real fresh? You probably cannot remember whether or not it was, but it needs to be really fresh and your dilution will also change contrast. It is a really good alternative to Agfa Neutol, which I used a real lot as it was a terrific developer.

As for the picture itself, nice framing and I like how the water is presented; I wonder if the track is open these days. Or even still there?

Mick.

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 12 Mar 2020, 16:56

Great to see your East Gippsland photos, Barry. Very bittersweet though given the devastation that this special part of the country has suffered.

I first visit Result Creek back in the early 90's. The track was easy to find and well sign posted. The last time was 2011. The track was completely overgrown and we ended up in an epic off track battle. I must see if I can dig up the 'chromes and scan them......

Look forward to seeing some more work from your archives.

All the best,
M

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 13 Mar 2020, 14:50

Thanks Mick and Mark. I haven't been back there since that photo, but from previous experience of Victorian environmental management I'd say that it would still be overgrown in pursuit of their apparent policy of excluding access - which I believe is what the Department understands as 'management'.

Around that time I went for a holiday to Tasmania, and the contrast in management policies and styles between the two states couldn't have been more stark. I wrote a letter to The Age newspaper about it and it featured as the top letter of the day. In that last trip to Errinundra there was a block adjacent to the Park which had just been clear logged. The site was appalling, with few seed trees left and encroachment of blackberries and weeds. Just what you need beside an area of great conservation value.

Mick, my ID-78 was fresh. I mix my own and use it for warmtone papers as a substitute for Neutol Warm, which I used to love with Agfa Record Rapid and Portriga. I think after this experience I'll stick to normal tone FB papers in Dektol/D72 for landscapes. Comparing what I've recently done with some old work prints from the same negs, I don't think there's much better than the old Gallery graded papers, so I'll find the most comparable that's currently available.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 13 Mar 2020, 19:05

Thanks for that Barry.

Have you tried E72?

It is (apparently*) a more environmentally alternative version; I've been using it for quite some years now.

750ml Water 50ºC
Phenidone 0.3g
Sodium Sulphite Anh 45.0g
Ascorbic Acid 19.0g
Sodium Carbonate Anh 77.0g (or mono version with 90.0g)
Potassium Bromide 1.9g

1:1 for high contrast, which is my standard way of using it, 1:2 or 1:3 for lower contrast. Using it at 1:1 puts a snap into my prints.

I also use this paper developer in my Durst Printo roller transport paper processor at 30ºC with 45 seconds development, straight into fixer for 45 seconds then into some trays where I hand wash, followed by a quick trip through a paper dryer.

* Apparently as I don't really know, it is just what is touted.

I use Sodium Carbonate anhydrous, as it is what I have on hand.

I get my Ascorbic acid from the local chemists, cheapest way to get small (ish) amounts. I usually check out online then head into the local shopping centre chemist and eyeball who is the cheapest chemist shop.

https://www.superpharmacy.com.au/produc ... ErEALw_wcB

Mick.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 14 Mar 2020, 08:59

Thanks Mick. No I haven't used E72, but I'll give it a go. I didn't know you could get Vitamin C powder from the chemist. There are other formulas I've seen that use it, so that's handy to know. It pays to shop around fo photo chemicals as there is considerable variation in prices. Still, it seems to be possible to get almost everything, so that's something to be thankful for

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 08 May 2020, 09:45

Record Rapid & Portriga Rapid!! Thems was the days. About. 20 odd years ago Kodak gave me a sample pack of prototype FB chlorobromide paper to test and evaluate for them. It was equally brilliant to the Agfa legends but, sadly, never made to local distribution.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”