Yarrie Lake Billabong and Spoonbills

Mick Fagan

Yarrie Lake Billabong and Spoonbills

Postby Mick Fagan » 12 Nov 2023, 17:45

Thought I'd try and capture some wildlife, not the best thing I've done by a long shot, but pleasing nonetheless.

Shen Hao HZ45-IIA camera
Ilford FP4+ 1/15 at f/22
Fujinon f/6.3 250mm
D76 1:1

230026_Spoonbills_In_Tree_Yarrie_Lake_Billabong_FP4_Shen_Hao_250mm_No_Filter_fifteenth_f22_1123hr_003_Web.jpg

Maris

Re: Yarrie Lake Billabong and Spoonbills

Postby Maris » 15 Nov 2023, 10:11

Nice surprise Mick. No, it's not the composition; that's perfect as usual. The spoonbills are nicely side-on so they look like birds rather than blobs. And the 250mm f6.3 lens delivers an impeccable image. It's the two little white birds lower left that counterpoint the arrangement of the spoonbills and really liven the picture.
A short vertical line is boring until someone put a dot under it and turns it into an exclamation mark. The little birds are that dot.

Mick Fagan

Re: Yarrie Lake Billabong and Spoonbills

Postby Mick Fagan » 17 Nov 2023, 15:43

Thank you Maris.

I was walking around the billabong, area for about an hour, spoonbills were all over the place. Eventually these two were side on, so a quick walk, plonk the tripod which already had the camera lens combination mounted, compose, focus, film holder in, then expose.

I knew the other birds on the ground were there, but I really was concentrating on the spoonbills and waiting for them to turn sideways from the neck up, otherwise their bills just looked ordinary and you couldn't see the spoon bit.

Return to “Places”