Mulga Posts, Sheep Mustering Yards

Maris

Postby Maris » 18 Dec 2023, 12:49

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm, from a 4x5 Kodak TXP negative exposed in a Linhof Super Technika camera fitted with a Schneider Symmar-S 150mm f5.6 lens.

The posts look rough but I was assured that the sides the sheep scrape against have become smooth and well coated with decades worth of lanolin.

Mick Fagan

Re: Mulga Posts, Sheep Mustering Yards

Postby Mick Fagan » 21 Dec 2023, 16:40

Maris, those upright posts are certainly eye catching, luckily for you, the probably bright tin roof has been omitted, either in the negative or when you printed.

The icing on the cake though, is the shadow formed by the upright posts.

Maris

Postby Maris » 23 Dec 2023, 13:17

Thanks Mick. The shadows were the first thing to catch my eye. The second thing was the bright corrugated roof at the top of the scene that was pitched at precisely the glare angle from the afternoon sun. So ignoring the "never crop" rule the roof was eliminated at the printing stage. And yes, a bit of dark-slide (poor man's compendium lens shade) intruded into the edge of the picture and got cropped out as well.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 23 Dec 2023, 19:22

Ha ha, poor man's compendium.

I too use the dark slide in exactly the same manner.

I saw compendiums used a lot in the studios and always noted just how fiddly they were to get things just right, more so if you were using CC filtration in the filter slot/opening some of the compendium hoods had. As a result I haven't been a big fan of one for the type of general photographic work I do.

Still, if I ever came across a compendium hood for the right price, I would probably jump at it.

I have negatives with fingers, dark slides, bellow pleats, the edge of my hat, and once, almost half a hand being outlined. Those days are generally behind me, but...... :o

Return to “Places”