Whirlpool, Kondalilla Falls.

Maris

Postby Maris » 12 Sep 2012, 06:39

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 TriX negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and a #25 red filter. The whirlpool at the base of the Kondalilla Falls turns slowly but a 2 minute exposure was sufficient to record a dynamic swirl.

Walter Glover

Re: Whirlpool, Kondalilla Falls.

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Sep 2012, 08:07

Was it in ordfer to extend the exposure time that you used the 25 Red Maris?

Or was there another purpose to your decision?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 12 Sep 2012, 09:59

Walter Glover wrote:Was it in ordfer to extend the exposure time that you used the 25 Red Maris?

Or was there another purpose to your decision?

Exactly as you suspect. The #25 red was used to extend the exposure time. The bottom of Kondalilla Falls is in a deep declivity full of blue light from a patch of sky above. As a consequence the red filter eats 4 stops of light instead of the usual 3. Fortunately the rocks and water are gray-ish so the red filter did not cause any tonal crossovers. With TriX rated at EI = 160 and the lens set at f64 I was hoping for a 3 minute exposure but settled for 2 minutes. As it turned out the time was sufficient but it is a result that I could not confidently previsualise.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 12 Sep 2012, 10:07

Maris wrote:Image

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 TriX negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and a #25 red filter. The whirlpool at the base of the Kondalilla Falls turns slowly but a 2 minute exposure was sufficient to record a dynamic swirl.

I absolutely love this. Can I buy a print?

Maris

Postby Maris » 12 Sep 2012, 10:42

Alastair Moore wrote:I absolutely love this. Can I buy a print?

All the "Whirlpools" have gone to collectors except for the somewhat battered example I put on my $49 flat bed scanner to generate the posted file. And my stash of Agfa Classic paper is gone never to come again. Because I consider what transpires on this forum to be "within the trade" (and no business of collectors who won't be logging on anyway) I can offer you a new "Whirlpool" made on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB. Darkroom backlog probably means an October production date. PM me a mailing address. No money is needed.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 12 Sep 2012, 10:48

Maris wrote:
Alastair Moore wrote:I absolutely love this. Can I buy a print?

All the "Whirlpools" have gone to collectors except for the somewhat battered example I put on my $49 flat bed scanner to generate the posted file. And my stash of Agfa Classic paper is gone never to come again. Because I consider what transpires on this forum to be "within the trade" (and no business of collectors who won't be logging on anyway) I can offer you a new "Whirlpool" made on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB. Darkroom backlog probably means an October production date. PM me a mailing address. No money is needed.

That would be amazing, thank you very much. I'll pm you some details.

Thank you!

alexn

Postby alexn » 17 Sep 2012, 20:34

Incredible image! :) You'd have to be pretty happy when you developed that negative!
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Sep 2012, 19:18

alexn wrote:Incredible image! :) You'd have to be pretty happy when you developed that negative!

You're not wrong! I knew the exposure was ok but not being able to previsualise the result was the cause of some high anxiety. And I didn't want a re-shoot. Lugging an 8x10 to the bottom of these falls is attended by some danger.

alexn

Postby alexn » 19 Sep 2012, 19:34

Last time I did Kondalilla falls it was with a DSLR.. Even that was a bit iffy getting to where this shot was taken.. with an 8x10 I can only imagine.

I'll be taking my 6x17 down there as soon as we get some decent rain... I will probably shoot it on Ilford Pan F+ or FP4+ and Velvia..
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Return to “Places”