Elegant Mangrove

Maris

Elegant Mangrove

Postby Maris » 09 Sep 2015, 08:02

Elegant Mangrove, Lake Weyba, Evening.

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MG IV RC photographic paper, image size 24.7cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 lens.Titled, signed, and stamped verso.

Timing the little ripple at the base of the mangrove tree brought a swish of white into the bottom of the picture to balance (?) the last of the sky-glow. The puff of breeze that disturbed the topmost leaves didn't ask permission.

Walter Glover

Re: Elegant Mangrove

Postby Walter Glover » 10 Sep 2015, 04:39

Discourteous breeze, Maris! But I suspect that with the breeze one sacrifices the shore ripple.

I wonder about the large dark intruder at the bottom left?? Cause for deep thought as to whether it is adding or detracting.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 10 Sep 2015, 10:45

Walter, there was no perfect place to stand. The 8x10 full format contact photograph means no cropping.

The framing is a compromise. Too far forward and the camera and tripod (and photographer) sink in the muddy sand. Too far back and the bunch of leaves doesn't line up with the bright patch in the sky. The intruder on the left is a dark log, big but not too big to shift. Is it legit to rearrange a natural landscape to suit the camera? I let a fuzzy intruder in half way up the sky on the right to try to balance the picture; only a partial success if that. The mosquitos were fierce.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 10 Sep 2015, 12:16

T-max 400 Maris? Sounds like you're getting soft.

Return to “Things”