Leaf Fall

Maris

Leaf Fall

Postby Maris » 13 Nov 2015, 08:54

There are some dark and cold autumn days that surely confirm that winter will close in soon. The poplar trees on the shores of Lake Jindabyne are casting off their yellow leaves and are getting ready to sleep until spring.

Autumn Leaf Fall, Jindabyne.

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.2cm X 16.4cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens. Titled and signed recto, stamped and annotated verso.

Walter Glover

Re: Leaf Fall

Postby Walter Glover » 13 Nov 2015, 10:24

Maris,

Quite lovely! But are your seasonal timings being adversely influenced by daylight Saving?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 13 Nov 2015, 12:12

Ah, alas Walter, there is no Daylight Saving in Queensland. Now that I'm no longer working for the man I can start early, 5am EST usually, and get into the darkroom by six. I figure I'll push paper through trays for a couple of hours and then go out and shoot film. Moments pass and when I glance at the clock I discover it's already three in the afternoon. And there are dozens of wet photographs to put on drying screens: out of work and never been busier.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 13 Nov 2015, 12:58

Maris wrote:out of work and never been busier.

Similar scenario here, too, Maris.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 25 Nov 2015, 14:24

Did you use a yellow filter to whiten the leaves? Love how they bust from everywhere.

Maris

Postby Maris » 26 Nov 2015, 10:21

smbooth wrote:Did you use a yellow filter to whiten the leaves? Love how they bust from everywhere.

Actually a #25 Red for this exposure. And yes the aim was to move the yellow leaves up the tonal scale so they would gleam more prominently. The result was muted a bit by a heavily overcast day that delivered a lot of blue light but less red for the filter to work on. Frankly a yellow filter would have done just as well and the shadow detail at the base of the tree trunk would not have been dumped into empty black.

Return to “Things”