Zigi Tree

Maris

Zigi Tree

Postby Maris » 26 Feb 2016, 09:34

The Zigi Tree, Snow Gum Grove, Charlotte Pass
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Warmtone VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.5cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens. Titled, stamped, and signed verso.

The slope below Mount Stilwell shelters the finest grove of huge Snow Gum trees in the world. Unlike nearly all the Australian high country this small area has been spared the devastating bush fires that are triggered by lightning strikes. Many of the bigger trees are about 400 years old.

A studio shot of Zigi Georges with "her" tree. This is what she was seeking by going out in a storm with a waterproof camera. It's digital, large but not large format, and graces the walls of dentist's waiting rooms, accountant's reception areas, etc,etc. I can admire the commerce and the art but it's not my path.

Walter Glover

Re: Zigi Tree

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Feb 2016, 09:43

Proof positive that photography and digital imaging do almost merge to form a broader church than was once the case.

But, having said that, I share your total lack of desire about digital imaging — I always have been, and remain, a photographer. Just like you.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Re: Zigi Tree

Postby RoganJosh » 02 Mar 2016, 02:31

Zigi's version definitely grabbed my attention when I first saw it but after viewing it again a few days later, I feel like I fully understand it already. Whereas your version is delicate and subtle, the feeling of light is well printed and the shallow dof is a bold but perfectly suited choice. Most importantly though, your version is much harder for my mind to comprehend. Not from a technical standpoint but purely from a visual standpoint. Keeps me coming back..

Return to “Things”