Glasses and Pears.

Maris

Glasses and Pears.

Postby Maris » 29 Jul 2016, 07:30

The glasses and pears were near a window that caught the sun in the afternoon. After rearranging the ingredients a bit I thought a soft focus lens could accentuate the luminosity of this still life...win. Or the rendition could be excessively mannered...fail. Can't always tell with stuff intended to be, er, art.

Glasses and Pears
Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant111 FB VC, image area 24.7cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a 400mm single meniscus lens set at f11.

Walter Glover

Re: Glasses and Pears.

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Jul 2016, 02:57

Maris,

Am I correct in discerning that you are somewhat undecided about something in this picture? I think I might be a bit undecided myself.

Somehow I can't be at peace with the large areas of specularity in the glassware and water. Am I caught in some kind of cliche induced torpor, unable to relate the modern day utility vessels with the seemingly 'period' setting, motif and treatment? It may well be.

Yesterday I became aware of a newly marketed Imagon 250mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter with all the bits and pieces. Previously, I had a 200mm and I regret that I did not use it more than I did.

Mind you, the best lens of this type that I ever had, and have lamented disposing of for ever, was a 1948 Kodak Portrait lens — a 12 inch as I recall. How I loved that lens!

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”