Facade, Zanci Station.

Maris

Facade, Zanci Station.

Postby Maris » 28 Oct 2016, 09:52

Facade, Zanci Station

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111VC FB Classic photographic paper, image size 19.5cm X 25.3cm, from a 4x5 Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a 21cm f4.5 Voigtlander Heliar lens.

Apart from a celebration of good old Aussie corrugated iron the composition is pun (forgiveable?) on the missing trees. On the right there's no tree but the stump remains. On the left there's no tree but the shadow says there is one.

Mick Fagan

Re: Facade, Zanci Station.

Postby Mick Fagan » 19 Jan 2018, 14:31

I think the composition is really great, the shadow of the missing tree is what lifts this.

Corrugated iron is one of my favourite subjects, fortunately I live in a time where most corrugated iron still standing, is at that perfect point of decay thereby making many constructions quite photogenic.

Where is Zanci Station?

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 20 Jan 2018, 13:03

Zanci Station is no longer a pastoral property. It has been incorporated into the Mungo National Park in western New South Wales. The old homestead, sheds, stables, and a few fence lines is about 3km up a dirt road north from the Mungo Visitor Centre.
Here's another one from the same location:
Stables, Zanci
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.2cm X 21.4cm, from a 4x5 Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a 21cm f4.5 Voigtlander Heliar lens.

The Zanci stables are another example of bush architecture. The rough logs are assembled into a strong and durable building without any nails or bolts. It's all clinched together with twisted 8 gauge wire. The roof is thatched with grass held down by chicken wire.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 20 Jan 2018, 13:51

Yes, I remember now. I remembered the name but couldn't recall where I had heard of it; at the tail end of the Mungo loop track.

Those horse stables, if I remember correctly have about 6 stables. What you have photographed, is about the best wall to do what you did.

Last time we were there the light was not so good, in fact rain was falling and we had to use 4WD to get back to the main road just as they were putting the road closed sign up.

The dugout at the homestead is something to think about, we worry about whether or not to put an air conditioner or electric fan on; they descended into the dugout.

Do you have a shutter on your Heliar, or are you using a hat? I've never seen one of those in the flesh; quite a wide aperture.

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 21 Jan 2018, 10:32

The Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens dates from 1948 and is mounted in a Compound #4 shutter. The shutter is ludicrously inaccurate, 1/100 delivers 1/40, 1/50 delivers 1/17, and so on, but is very consistent. My shutter tester tells me the actual speeds so I just make the appropriate adjustment: no need to repair the shutter.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Feb 2018, 04:13

Treasured finds, Maris, laden with so many of my favoured elements. Wonderful.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”