More Snow gums

mark.darragh

More Snow gums

Postby mark.darragh » 19 Nov 2016, 16:19

Well one Snow gum anyway.......
Detail of Snow gum bark, Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park, Tasmania

Snowgum_detail_1024.jpg

Arca Swiss F Line Field, Schneider Makro Symmar 120mm, Fujichrome Velvia RVP 50 4x5

Barry Kirsten

Re: More Snow gums

Postby Barry Kirsten » 20 Nov 2016, 07:16

Gorgeous closeup detail and colouring, Mark. I've also been following your snow gums on the other forum with much enjoyment. What is it about snow gums that excites our vision, I wonder? Yours, Maris's mine... all seem to feature form, bark colours and tones which characterise this species and point to its harsh environmental origins. The favourite of my own efforts is this one, which I can't show here as it's 35mm - Contax with Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 at f/8, Ektachrome 64:
E. pauciflora, Charlottes Pass web.jpg

Maris

Postby Maris » 20 Nov 2016, 07:22

Mark, those colours look splendid. Did you take the picture on a rainy day? Wet snow gum bark shows much stronger colours than dry. I've stooped to working a snow gum grove with bucket and bannister brush painting trees wet for max colour close-ups. That's legitimate "subject enhancement" isn't it?

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 24 Nov 2016, 15:47

We are very fortunate to live in a country which has such an amazing variety of tree species but you are right Barry, there is a presence that Snow Gums have that seem to draw us to them. Perhaps it's because the diverse habit (form) and colour the trees exhibit lend them to a great range of compositions and interpretation, whether in colour, black and white or as Maris and Shane have highlighted, Infra Red photography.

You are correct Maris, the bark was quite damp as a result of typical Tasmanian mountain conditions (rain!). Velvia and perhaps a 1/3 of a stop underexposure gives the image a little more punch but the colour rendition is actually quite accurate. Like in the Snowies, the Snow Gums in some parts of Tasmania show particularly rich colours in their bark.

These are a couple more I posted of the LFF.
Both Mount Howitt area, Victoria.
Arca Swiss F Line Field 4x5, Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL, Fujifilm Neopan Acros rated 64, Hypercat 1:10:300

The Survivor_1000.jpg

Snowgum Woodland.jpg

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 24 Nov 2016, 16:00

Yes! I saw the top one on LFF - it's superb! The other one's not too bad, either. Like your work Mark, very much.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 09 Dec 2016, 09:23

As for colour I have seen that they have more colour in them just prior to winter, something to remember for you colour guys.

Return to “Things”