Lens;G Claron 270mm F9
Film Fuji HRT X-ray
exposure F16 19 sec
Print Agfa MG3 Matt
GD2 5.7 sec

Mick Fagan

Re: Elephant Palm

Postby Mick Fagan » 13 Mar 2017, 13:25

Looks very good, shadow wise, when viewed correctly. The difference from correct viewing, as to what is shown, is more than I imagined it would be.

Mick.

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 13 Mar 2017, 14:45

I tried for some time to rotate is to no avail I just shot several more of different leafs to build up a series
best success with HRT x-ray so far

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 13 Mar 2017, 15:40

You're doing well with x-ray film, Bazz. I've seen some rotten results from peoples' initial attempts to get control of contrast and obtain an acceptable tonal scale. I've only just started using some expired Kodak green sensitive dental panorama film that someone gave me. The greatest issue I've had is its vulnerable emulsions. Being double sided there are two surfaces to contend with. I develop on a sheet of glass in each tray, which a
has fixed the processing woes, but that still leaves the problem of scratching during film loading and cutting. I've found there are positives, though, apart from being cheap - there are interesting possibilities with it being orthochromatic, something I vaguely remember from my youth.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 13 Mar 2017, 16:54

Are either or both of you developing by inspection in trays?

I ask as I have about 80 sheets of 30.5x45.7cm Ilford Newsdot film that I bought new around 25 years ago. I used this for making negatives for a photomechanical process I did when manufacturing rubber stamps.

I haven't yet ever had the urge to use this film, but it is so easy to use, emulsion on one side only. :mrgreen:

Just need to swap my filter glass around, then its like Christmas.

Mick.

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 13 Mar 2017, 17:28

I use a BTZS file which after testing gives me a development time around 4-6 minutes,because of contrast I have been hesatent to rock the trays too much initially 15sec per minute.
This neg is constantly rocking the tray side to side and them lengthways.
I do not get to much scratching although I cut my fingered nails before developing negs.
This afternoon I developed 4 more all at 5 minutes.
First prints since September last year just too busy these days.
To answer your question Mick I do keep a eye on density by eye. I used LC29 14mm per 1000ml per sheet.

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 13 Mar 2017, 17:30

Thanks for rotating my print :D

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 14 Mar 2017, 15:09

Are either or both of you developing by inspection in trays?

I don't, Mick. The main reason is that with my eyes and the safelight I use, I don't seem to be able to reliably see subtle changes in density. Probably age-related, but that's life . As to the safelight, I made my own consisting of a dozen 5mm LEDs having a very defined spectral response. Absolutely safe, but not designed for DBI as they do not present a diffuse illumination (Looking through a film I'm conscious of the 12 points of light, which makes identifying tonal changes difficult). As a general safelight, though, it's brilliant.

I have to say that I've never been a fan of DBI, probably because previous attempts with panchromatic film have required a diabolical green safelight which was impossible to see anything with. I much prefer to control everything (exposure, chemistry, temperature, time) hoping for absolutely predictable results. It sometimes works :D .

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 14 Mar 2017, 15:19

Bazz8 wrote:I use a BTZS file which after testing gives me a development time around 4-6 minutes,because of contrast I have been hesatent to rock the trays too much initially 15sec per minute.
This neg is constantly rocking the tray side to side and them lengthways.
I do not get to much scratching although I cut my fingered nails before developing negs.
This afternoon I developed 4 more all at 5 minutes.
First prints since September last year just too busy these days.
To answer your question Mick I do keep a eye on density by eye. I used LC29 14mm per 1000ml per sheet.

Oooh, interesting dilution. 1000 divided by 14 = 71.43.

Never used LC29 much, about 2 bottles worth not that long after I became aware of it. Thought liquid developer it would be good for travelling and developing on the run, so I tried out HC110 then LC29. On another occasion I had a bottle of HC110 in Germany about 35 years ago, didn't use that much, but couldn't bring it back on the aeroplane. Thought it was a great developer, never thought of using it for lithographic film though.

Inspection development is a wonderful thing, however aged eyes can be a bit of an issue. I was glad when my develop in trays by inspection with sheet film days were over, I had been finding it harder and harder to see good development, even when one pulled the film out and held it close to a safe light, things were a bit dim. :o

Mick.

Return to “Things”