Leaves

Ray Heath

Leaves

Postby Ray Heath » 15 Dec 2012, 08:48

Image captured on FB paper neg in a home made simple lens sliding box 8x10 camera.

This version scanned from the contact print with minor adjustments in PS.

2010-04_Leaves.jpg
2010-04_Leaves.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

smbooth

Re: Leaves

Postby smbooth » 15 Dec 2012, 10:19

I nice selection of images Ray, just wondering if your wet printing these images as well. The other question is why fibre, if your scanning and/or printing wouldn't RC paper work just as well and be easier to work with.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 15 Dec 2012, 21:43

Thanks for the interest Shane.

By wet printing do you mean wet contact printing? If so, no. I tried it a few times and given the disruption to normal darkroom workflow and the poor results I figured why bother.

If you mean traditional darkroom procedures, more often than not I prefer to scan the contact print rather than the paper negative because I like the effect that the paper fibres add to the image.

FB instead of RC? I started doing this style of imaging with a supply of old, fogged, graded FB paper and came to prefer the look of contacts from FB more than RC. RC is somewhat to "clinical" and imparts less paper texture to the contact print. Besides graded RC is near impossible to buy and variable contrast RC is too difficult to expose consistently well.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Dec 2012, 03:45

Ray Heath wrote:RC is somewhat to "clinical" and imparts less paper texture to the contact print. Besides graded RC is near impossible to buy and variable contrast RC is too difficult to expose consistently well.

Ain't that da troof!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 19 Dec 2012, 20:57

Excuse me mister but wots FB paper

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Dec 2012, 21:01

Andrew Nichols wrote:Excuse me mister but wots FB paper

Fibre based?

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 19 Dec 2012, 21:57

Andrew Nichols wrote:Excuse me mister but wots FB paper

Yeh, fibre base paper. Not so easy to acquire as a graded paper, most often nowadays it is variable contrast.

FB paper has a certain "presence", and a "physicality" that plastic paper lacks.

The most widely photographic paper is of course is RC VC, resin coated variable contrast.
Ray

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Dec 2012, 22:05

Some, like me, think that resin coated is the digital of analog.

I reckon the rot set in with Variable Contrast and reached plaque impact with resin coated. I still long for the rich old Chloro-Bromide papers — Portriga and Record Rapid.

Not that I ever did much using it in a camera.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 19 Dec 2012, 22:13

Thanks for the interest everyone.

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that I also oil my FB negs.

Oiling FB paper makes it more translucent which dramatically reduces exposure time when contact printing.

An oiled negative will also, sometimes, impart more paper texture to a contact print, an effect I like and one which is not often apparent when scanning and printing digitally.

Interesting comments Walter. I somewhat agree but would caution that each has its place. Each can be a creative or practical choice.

I am more skeptical about the use of film combined with scanning and digital printing. Surely something of the magic of traditional imaging is lost when film is not printed as originally intended.
Ray

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 20 Dec 2012, 06:42

Thanks ray , very informative and useful knowledge

Tell me, how do you go about oiling, what oil do you use and how do you Clean the neg.

I think in your case it softens the image somewhat. But I view from iPhone.

A

Return to “Things”