Good photo locations in Tassie (minus the usual suspects!)

Lachlan717

Good photo locations in Tassie (minus the usual suspects!)

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Apr 2016, 16:39

I'm heading to Tassie next month and would welcome any suggestions for interesting locations, apart from the usual Cradle Mountain, Mt Field NP and Liffey Falls.

You know, stuff off the beaten track.

I'm thinking about hanging 'round Nth West corner for a few days, possibly heading to Corinna/Pieman River.

Also thinking of exploring around the backroads of the Central Plateau/Great Lake area.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Glover

Re: Good photo locations in Tassie (minus the usual suspects!)

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Apr 2016, 21:37

Lachlan,

Unfortunately I can't offer much local knowledge of where to go and what to shoot in Tassie, but I am green with envy and wish you every success.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 06 Apr 2016, 00:53

Thanks, Walter.

The kit (so far) is:

*6x17cm for colour pano;
*7x17" for B&W pano;
*4x5" for colour "stuff"; and
*D800 for clear night Milky Way stuff.

Hopefully, I'll be boring you with photos soon!

john s

Postby john s » 12 Apr 2016, 20:57

Hi Lachlan,
If you will be in the North west I recommend:
1. Dip Falls. Depends a bit on the water flow.
2. Arthur River. The coastal areas around the town.
3. Arthur River Reserve. In the Tarkine, this area has a number of walks which are not long.
4. Hellyer Gorge. Park near the bridge on the main road and explore - especially early morning.
5. Philosopher Falls walk. Near Waratah on your way to Corinna depending on which way you go. The falls aren't easy to photograph but the walk in has some interesting trees etc.

Let me know if you want to catch up at some stage, as I may be in Tasmania.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 13 Apr 2016, 13:33

Thanks, John!

Some great suggestions.

I haven't finalised my route yet, but stay tuned! It should be mainly Nth West and Central, and possibly down to Mt Field/Gordon Dam regions.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide the suggestions.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 13 Apr 2016, 17:29

If you're going down to Mt Field, Russell Falls are worth a look - three sections from memory: upper, middle and lower. I'd say it could be disappointing in low rainfall, as it was when we were there, but a pretty place, all the same. I'll look out a neg tomorrow and give you an idea of what to expect.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 14 Apr 2016, 10:10

A poor scan of the lower drop (HP 4890, says it all), and as you can see the flow was poor. You get a view of the upper drop above and to the right.

Russell Falls web.jpg

Here is a 35mm view of the upper falls. There is a wide rock ledge there, and if you're lucky to have good flows when you visit, there might be a good pano opportunity from that spot.

Russell Falls Upper web.jpg

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 14 Apr 2016, 11:43

Thanks, Barry.

I think that you're too critical! I really like the subtlety of the first image. The softness of the water gives it (yet again) that mystical feel.

Do you remember which way the falls face? I know that Liffey flows kinda west to east, but no idea on Russell.

I want to head further up the road toward the Gordon Dam Wall. I remember seeing some scenes up that way that reminded me of the Scottish Highlands.

Thanks again!

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 14 Apr 2016, 16:47

Good question, Lachlan. Surprisingly there's little map info that I could find on the web. Best I could do was Google Earth, which seems to show Russell Falls Ck running roughly N-S. This is usually the case in southern Australia, where ultimately most rivers and creeks flow south to the sea. A bit of a bugger in the winter time because the sun is further north and seldom falls on the face of most waterfalls.

I shouldn't complain about the scanner, as it was given to me. But I've never been able to get a satisfactory scan of any of my 4x5 negs. Compared to my Epson V600 (35mm and MF), it's performance is really poor. It may be that the software is limited, or a combination of software and hardware. One day I'll hopefully get an Epson V800.

john s

Postby john s » 15 Apr 2016, 14:08

I like your image Barry.

Lachlan, there is a book that has just been published called Tarkine Trials. If you're thinking of doing even short walks in this area, this book would be worth getting. It is available at Wild Island:
http://shop.wildislandtas.com.au/collec ... amakuminya

Return to “Community Chat”