Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Photojournalists and ethics

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Aug 2012, 12:33

Interesting discussion and topic on DPReview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/30 ... e-Guardian

Here's a link to the Guardian page:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/interac ... intcmp=239

I'm in two minds about this. The photographer's job is not to intervene in a particular situation but perhaps as a human being it is, if they are able to? In some instances in those photographs, my thoughts are that because the photographer didn't intervene and help out, the image presented itself, however had they got involved that incident might not have happened in the first place.

Any thoughts?

John Austin

Re: Photojournalists and ethics

Postby John Austin » 19 Aug 2012, 10:46

Somewhat tangentially I note that W.E.S took sides in his work, particularly Minimata - I believe it is important for a journalist/photojournalst to become engaged with his subject - "Objective neutrality" is a fiction for all but the brain dead - As is said in the Levant, "He who sits on the fence gets shot first"

Back to the point of the linked article "and take a photograph instead of stopping to help?" - There have been situations where documentation has had a long term effect on the issue and has caused real change - An example of this is Lange's "Migrant Pea Picker" - This FSA pic helped change opinion in Amerika at the time - Obviously with WES's picture of Tomoko in the Bath the damage had been done and there was nothing to do but record the scene and use it to shift the political fulcum, which it did

Note - "Tomoko in the Bath" is no longer available as some years ago the child's family requested the image be no longer used - I have taken my print of this image down. It is not for sale

Return to “Community Chat”