http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Kodak_Tak ... rgence.htm

Kodak is hoping to sell of its film and paper business by mid-2013
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

mark l

Re: Adieu Kodak

Postby mark l » 24 Aug 2012, 13:00

I own a kodak shop, and even I've started stocking up on tri-x in all formats, after all why would anyone want to buy anything other than the name off Kodak. They could hardly have made a bigger mess of film and paper if they'd tried, now that movies are going digital it's going to be a niche market, thank god for Ilford and the east europeans. I'm going to keep supporting chris at Blanconegro, Foma are a good company despite some of the problems I've had with the 8x10 film, their paper is lovely. USE IT OR LOSE IT, seriously.
Regardless of what we feel about film it's hardly the sort of business a bank's going to look favourably upon, so I'm not real hopeful for the future of kodak film production. A sad day.

jars121

Postby jars121 » 24 Aug 2012, 16:15

I've always wanted to go into Blanco Negro and try out the Foma, I might just have to do that from now on! Having said that, I've got my first ever box of Kodak film sitting on my desk at the moment (T-Max), so I don't think I'll noticed much difference with Kodak closing shop. I am ordering some Portra from B&H tomorrow though, I've heard good things.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 24 Aug 2012, 18:09

The sky's not necessarily falling.

Don't forget that Ilford went onto receivership in 2004. Harman technology Ltd bought it in February 2005.

It seems like a pretty solid (albeit a much smaller) organisation that is dependable and seemingly here for the longhaul.

I won't miss any of the Kodak products, as I don't use them, but I would like to try Ektar 100 in 8x10 one day...

Return to “Community Chat”