The Reading Room

RoganJosh

Re: The Reading Room

Postby RoganJosh » 07 Dec 2012, 14:20

Walter Glover , is there something specific about ansels artistic work that you dislike?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 07 Dec 2012, 14:41

One I like is by Helen Ennis on Wolfgang Sievers.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Feb 2013, 08:02

The latest acquisition arrived in the post yesterday and it is a cracker:

The Dusseldorf School of Photography Stefan Gronert [Aperture ISBN: 978-1-59711-136-2]

What a banquet this is for somebody as enamoured as I am with German objectivity and the typology.

Over 70 pages of well written essays laying out the development not only of the Düsseldorf Kunstakademie but of all the key players — including superb reproductions.

I am still ploughing my way through the Aperture Magazine anthology from the time of Minor White and I see it taking the rest of the year with the intermittent reading of a single essay every time the will takes me.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Feb 2013, 16:06

The Nature Of Photographs By Stephen Shore - A Primer Publisher: Phaidon - ISBN 978 0 7148 5904 0

Well, let me declare my hand at the outset: Stephen Shore holds a high status in my pantheon of photographers.

Here is a fine volume of criticism in the tradition of folk like John Szarkowski - but very different. very visual. Very simple.

Perhaps it is best to quote from the work: This book explores ways of understanding the nature of photographs; and not only the most elegant or graceful photographs, but all photographs made with a camera and printed directly from the negative or a digital file. All photographic prints have qualities in common. These qualities determine how the world in front of the camera is transformed into a photograph; they also form the visual grammar that elucidates the photograph's meaning.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 May 2013, 11:28

Another new acquisition:

The Practice Of Contemplative Photography - Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes Andy Karr and Michael Wood - Publisher: Shambhala. ISBN: 978 1 59030 779 3

Fascinating discussion of approach and theme rant of photographing illustrated by a wonderful series of example images from all eras.

Happy reading!
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 May 2013, 12:03

Walter Glover wrote:Another new acquisition:

The Practice Of Contemplative Photography - Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes Andy Karr and Michael Wood - Publisher: Shambhala. ISBN: 978 1 59030 779 3

Fascinating discussion of approach and theme rant of photographing illustrated by a wonderful series of example images from all eras.

Happy reading!

Has this given you food for thought to clear your creative block? I did see some recent posts of yours on Flickr and you look to be doing just fine!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 May 2013, 12:14

It was only a creativity pebble to stumble over rather than a block.

Haven't read much yet but it is right up my alley.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Community Chat”