Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 02 Oct 2012, 21:41

Hi my name is Brian Rowland I live in Melbourne and this is my first post!
Great to see a large format site in Australia I honestly didn't know one existed until
Walter Glover brought this site to my attention............

So for reasons i can't fully explain I have re-kindled my interest in Large Format Photography
I'm old enough to remember when the Photographers's Gallery was active in Melbourne and used
to run excellent workshops in the 80's.

This was a time when photographers like Ian Lobb a was running inspirational courses on fine print making
at the Photographer's Gallery and Les Walkling was teaching the zone system approach to crafting a fine negative.

In these days we all learnt that the best developers were mixed from raw, classic ingredients and the finest negs came from Pyrogallol.
Les of course is now well known for running courses in digital photography which are equally inspiring.

But somewhere in the technology revolution the allure of B&W large format photography took a nosedive. (in Melbourne at least)
As an observation, the internet while part of the "digital revolution" may be the saviour of analogue photography.
Forums like this one are clear evidence that many photographers prefer to use film and as we know there is nothing quite like a superb 8X10 negative beautifully contact printed.

Of equal importance Forums such as this demonstrates that Analogue is alive and there is a continuing demand for materials - in the US there are regular "group buys" of ULF film which I am sure companies like Ilford love!
The internet means that buying analogue equipment is reasonably affordable and professional lenses and cameras are now relatively cheap - much cheaper than crappy lenses for digital cameras!

After few years exploring the digital domain I have concluded that I am happier using the more tactile medium of Film and working with a big ground glass screen.
I have realised that my best images having looked back at 30 years in photography have resulted from the discipline that comes with working more slowly and being in full control.
I am not rejecting digital workflow - quite the opposite I am happy to scan negatives and optimise my images to obtain the best print possible results and for those rare images that justifies the time
I will produce a silver gelatine print

So I have recently acquired an old Linhof Technika 5X7, and a Zone Vi 8X10 I have re-furbished a Jobo CPP2 processor and acquired a 5X7 Expert drum to hopefully work efficiently.
I have ordered a fresh batch of FP4/HP5 from B&H and the "darkroom" is slowly taking shape.......Pyrocat HD is mixed so I hope to be making new negatives soon!

smbooth

Re: New Member

Postby smbooth » 02 Oct 2012, 21:58

Welcome Brian from another Melbourne LF user. Interested in where you got Pyrogallol from to mix your Pyrocat HD.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Oct 2012, 05:28

Warmtone wrote:I have realised that my best images having looked back at 30 years in photography have resulted from the discipline that comes with working more slowly and being in full control.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for joining and welcome.

The meditative and contemplative nature of working with a ground-glass invoke a whole other world of discovery and invention that I can never been able to tap into squinting into the looken-peeper of any 35mm style reflex.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 03 Oct 2012, 08:41

Welcome, Brian!

There are (relatively) heaps of us here in Melbourne, and, arguably the best LF technical resource in Australia is based just up the road at Gold Street Studios in Trentham.

We have done group purchases of film, and, via APUG' Melbourne users, we occasionally catch up.

For what it's worth, I've found that people here, on APUG and on LFPF are really helpful when I've needed help/info etc.

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 03 Oct 2012, 18:18

smbooth wrote:Welcome Brian from another Melbourne LF user. Interested in where you got Pyrogallol from to mix your Pyrocat HD.

Hi Shane pyrocat hd uses pyrocatechin not pyrogallol.

Pyrocat hd is considered better for drum development in rotary processors like the Jobo.
I bought my last batch from Vanbar in Melbourne a few years ago and currently waiting for new stock.

Vanbar also supplies pyrogallol for developers like PMK which was made popular in the 90's by Gordon Hutchings. It's also a great developer but because it oxidizes quickly not suitable for rotary processing but great for tank development of roll film.

Both developers are toxic and need to be handled with great care when mixing ie a good mask and rubber gloves with exhaust fan!

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 03 Oct 2012, 18:25

Lachlan717 wrote:Welcome, Brian!

There are (relatively) heaps of us here in Melbourne, and, arguably the best LF technical resource in Australia is based just up the road at Gold Street Studios in Trentham.

We have done group purchases of film, and, via APUG' Melbourne users, we occasionally catch up.

For what it's worth, I've found that people here, on APUG and on LFPF are really helpful when I've needed help/info etc.

Hi Lachlan thanks for the welcome!

I was unaware of Gold St Studios in Trentham .........sounds interesting
I would be most interested in meeting Forum members so perhaps let me know when you have the next get together!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 03 Oct 2012, 18:48

Hello Brian and welcome!

Glad to see another new face around here. We're not necessarily the biggest/most active forum but I think that's fine. Post up some images, fire off some questions or just offer up advice or thoughts and you'll get a reply sooner rather than later!

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 03 Oct 2012, 20:22

Alastair Moore wrote:Hello Brian and welcome!

Glad to see another new face around here. We're not necessarily the biggest/most active forum but I think that's fine. Post up some images, fire off some questions or just offer up advice or thoughts and you'll get a reply sooner rather than later!

Hi Alastair, thanks for the encouragement!

I am currently enjoying some if the images that have been posted on this site and will progressively post some of my own.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 03 Oct 2012, 21:29

Oh, I moved the topic as this is more appropriate in the Community Chat section than People (which is really for image sharing of people!)

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 03 Oct 2012, 22:21

Yes aware that Vanbar is supposed to be able to supply both chemicals, but unless somebody has order a heap of it I think you be waiting a while.

Return to “Community Chat”