Going to Melbourne tomorrow

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Going to Melbourne tomorrow

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Oct 2012, 00:38

I'm going to be there until Monday afternoon. Can anyone suggest anything worth shooting? I'll be bringing my camera with me but am mainly going for "Around The Bay In A Day" on Sunday so will be on my bike all Sunday. But most of Saturday and Monday morning is free to explore. Any suggestions would be great! It'll be my first time there.

Cheers,

Alastair

Walter Glover

Re: Going to Melbourne tomorrow

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Oct 2012, 05:41

Alastair,

If you have not been there previously you'll likely be impressed by the architecture. At the core of melbourne is a very European old city with well considered modern embellishments. It is a city on a river which is always very different to a city on a harbour. I'd go so far as saying that there is far more to shoot there than other Oz cities, including Sydney.

I lived there for a year in the 70s and I'd have to say that the bay was one of its less alluring attributes (but that might just be me).

Recent forays in Melbourne for me have been to fly in in the morning and fly out in the arvo with all the day spent in a studio. And, more recently, a studio at Tullamarine, beside the airport. So I am not completely up to date but I can assure you that whatever you fancy, there is loads of it to shoot. You could start with cobbled lanes in the city, jaded opulence at St Kilda and the adaptive re-use of old Victorian (era, not State) buildings. The street art (graffiti) can be an interesting addition, also.

Prepare for four season in a day, if not an hour.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 19 Oct 2012, 06:54

Well Melbourne city has plenty to shoot even if you just wander down the river with the old bridges crossing the Yarra, you could head a little north (bikable) to Smith St and Brunswick St. Typically tourist also head to StKilda, Luna Park, the Pier. You could head around the old harbour(docklands). The theaters in Exhibition St have nice architecture, and then theres nearby Chinatown.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 25 Oct 2012, 13:13

I didn't get time to see much/enough of Melbourne in the end so will have to take another visit sometime. It looked like a lovely city though!

Return to “Community Chat”