Favourite LF Photo?

RoganJosh

Favourite LF Photo?

Postby RoganJosh » 29 Oct 2012, 12:44

What is your favourite photo taken by a LF practitioner and why?

Although I change my mind quite often, It has been set on this image for some time now. I love the sturdy balance of components throughout the image and the strong contrast of the pure white branches on the dark lake bed. It's a very beautiful scene but at the same time it's almost scary, reminds me of 'monolith, the face of half dome' in that way.

Maris

Re: Favourite LF Photo?

Postby Maris » 30 Oct 2012, 09:20

Portrait:
Rose Roland (Covarrubias) by Edward Weston, 1926.
Because full vertical sun light is, by conventional wisdom, totally wrong for portraiture and Edward proves in a masterstroke that genius, talent, and vision always prevail.
Landscape:
Log and Horsetails, 1957 by Wynn Bullock.
Because this was the first large format image that I saw brilliantly reproduced in huge art book in the Toowoomba Municipal Library in 1959. Until then I never realised that a photograph could be so perfect, so good. Whatever path I was on then this picture was one of the things that swerved me to where I am now.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 31 Oct 2012, 07:59

Phew! This is such a hard question. I have been thinking about it a couple of days since it was first presented.

All I can ascertain is that my passions are probably those of a lascivious slut when it comes to photographs. I love many and I love them all equally. There is considerable vacilation depending on mood.

Frederick H Evans is the only man whose tripod holes I have sought to rest my own Gitzo into — Sea Of Steps

http://thephotobook.files.wordpress.com ... _steps.jpg

There are a great many of the early masters I adore for assorted reasons, like Maris does the Weston and the Bullock. Strand, Renger-Patszch, Coburn, Callahan.

But there are more recent shooters I also admire greatly — Avedon and Penn, Sturges and Mann, for example.

I guess the only easy answer would be for me to make a picture of my 900 monographs because it is largely the entire body of that work which excites and inspires.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

mighew

Postby mighew » 06 Nov 2012, 05:54

Peter Dombrovskis and "Rock Island Bend" because it was a photo that launched a movement ...

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 06 Nov 2012, 13:05

mighew I didn't even know that Peter Dombrovskis existed until just now. Just went through his online collection at the national library website and he is by far the best Australian Landscape photographer i've seen... a solid level above anything else ive seen come out of Aus, and such a great colour range. Does anyone know if he used dye transfer printing?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Nov 2012, 13:08

I cannot vouch for dye transfer, but I did see a Dumbroskis exhibition on Ilfochrome.

There are a number of books of Peter's work and, last heard, his widow is taking care of his estate.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 07 Nov 2012, 08:29

RoganJosh wrote:mighew I didn't even know that Peter Dombrovskis existed until just now. Just went through his online collection at the national library website and he is by far the best Australian Landscape photographer i've seen... a solid level above anything else ive seen come out of Aus, and such a great colour range. Does anyone know if he used dye transfer printing?

And likewise. I've got a link to his collection bookmarked and will be revisiting it often. I thought the work was just fantastic!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 07 Nov 2012, 11:32

Sad story with Dombrovskis. Read up on his mentor, Olegas Truchanas, his death, and his lost images.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 07 Nov 2012, 11:55

Short but sweet video of Peter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9fM7nimYE

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 11 Nov 2012, 10:49

KarshYousef-GeorgeBernardShaw-1943.jpg
KarshYousef-GeorgeBernardShaw-1943.jpg (6.2 KiB) Viewed 5835 times

I've always loved this Karsh portrait of George Bernard Shaw even though I'm no great fan of either. Great light, great composition, excellent detail and feeling.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Return to “Community Chat”