Well worn tripod holes

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Well worn tripod holes

Postby Alastair Moore » 31 Oct 2012, 10:37

Controversy at the UK Landscape Photographer of the Year.

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

The winner:

His inspiration:

L2obin

Re: Well worn tripod holes

Postby L2obin » 31 Oct 2012, 12:32

Wow...

I've wondered many times what though processes go on in the judges' minds. But it's interesting to see the top guns strutting similar photos of iconic views... Perhaps it's all just peer pressure..?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 31 Oct 2012, 12:50

Perhaps it just shows the experience of the judges which have not been exposed (pun intended) to a large range of photographers

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 31 Oct 2012, 21:08

They are not the same image. The first is darker and moodier.

I wonder about the photographer's intent.

Did he intend to copy someone else's work? I so he failed somewhat.

Did he intend just to shoot the same subject? If so why did he not look at it from his own perspective?

Was the second photographer even aware of the original work? Was it all just a strange coincedence?

I have at times been praised that my work somewhat resembles a well known work, though I know I've never seen the other work or even know the other artist.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 31 Oct 2012, 21:53

It is not all that unusual that there are similar images doing the rounds. back in the year 2000 I photographed the whalers on the beach at Lindisfarne (Holy Island) with a very similar framing. What was different that the whalers I shot were the other way around - the stern facing the camera. These boats are really quite big and the ones I shot had normal household doors cut into the tailboard and folk were holidaying in them.

I must dig out some of those old negs and have another bash at them with the scanner this time. Last time they saw the light of day I was only using a wet darkroom.

What I have been curious about all day since first seeing the Telegraph report this morning is whether the picture was taken by the David Byrne of Talking Heads fame. I know that he bought a 10x8 Gandolfi back about 2000.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 01 Nov 2012, 10:30

Three thoughts:

1.Why should I look at this stuff apart from satisfying morbid curiosity about how a couple of picture makers fight it out within the weird lacuna defined by the rules of this competition.
2.I wonder what the scene would have actually looked like had I been at that place on that day and how would I have photographed it.
3.The comfort I gain, the inspiration, and the reassurance by the distance between pictures like this and what I reckon I do.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 01 Nov 2012, 15:39

I would like to know how this photo came first!? What time of day is this supposed to represent? Looks like the photographer is trying to say too much at once...actually it would all make perfect sense if the judges were a bunch of digital photographers.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:06

Plagiarism does not have the same definition as Homage. Homage is, by definition, an oblique reference.

This is just a straight out rip-off.

And, I am staggered by the audacity to enter it in a contest.

Probably the same set of judges who awarded this: http://www.treehugger.com/culture/wildlife-prize-winning-photo-is-a-fake.html

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Nov 2012, 09:14

There has been an interesting development concerning the winner. Read about it here:

http://www.85mm.co.uk/blog/
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 03 Nov 2012, 11:21

Well, that's a bugger. For me, the issue of his copy cat image would be more of a concern than if he's 'shopped out a rock or added some clouds.

Return to “Community Chat”