Some fine holiday viewing (if the cricket is rained out)

Walter Glover

Some fine holiday viewing (if the cricket is rained out)

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Dec 2012, 09:22

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11 ... grams:Arts

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11 ... rts:Latest

Especially rewarding for me to see the Bechers who are a major influence on my approach much of the time. Oh, that there was just more time, funds and opportunity.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Some fine holiday viewing (if the cricket is rained out)

Postby Maris » 27 Dec 2012, 10:10

I've been watching this series and I agree with Walter that the segment on Bernd and Hilla Becher is well done. When the commentary drifts into vaporisings about the scions of the Dusseldorf School or the convolutions of Pictorialist Photography then I reckon the standard of scholarship is worthy of challenge. Predictably I interject while watching these programs until the other half of the photographic team loses her patience and tells me to shut #@$&*# up.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 28 Dec 2012, 12:45

Thanks Walter.

I didn't really warm to the first vid but loved the Becher segment. Thier images seem at first to be boring and artless but grouped they become something more than the sum of the parts, to paraphrase somebody.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 29 Dec 2012, 07:11

Ray Heath wrote:Their images seem at first to be boring and artless but grouped they become something more than the sum of the parts, to paraphrase somebody.

I can see how one might think that. A lot of what I do is make photos with a view that they become part of a body of work about something as opposed to single stand-alone images. It may well be that there are single stand-alones but that is seldom the be all to end all.

The history of photography and the changing eras of style and treatment have always fascinated me and so I seldom consider whether I like the style of an era or not, as much as just try to soak up whatg I can of the flavour of the times. I thought that these docos did that fairly well. If I have a negative comment it would only be that there was only passing mention of Albert Renger-Patzsch who was a founding force in the New Objectivity which was such a great influence on the likes of Weston, et al.

Considering that television is jam packed with imagery it is a shame that there is far too little air time given to the discusion of imagery. Thank goodness for the ABC and SBS.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 29 Dec 2012, 10:07

My work has most often been to find the one all telling image. Not always successfully.

When I look back over my images I see unintentional themes that do seem to work together and are stronger as a grouping or a series.

I recently decided to make more use of my beloved 35mm film cameras as I've hardly touched them in the last several years. My first roll was shot deliberately, and somewhat quickly, on capturing a series of tree images all within a small area near my home. Printed to a small size and simply bound with a few previosly captured images they've made a lovely booklet.

aFewTrees-01.jpg
aFewTrees-01.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

aFewTrees-04.jpg
aFewTrees-04.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Return to “Community Chat”