A Local ULF Chap

Walter Glover

A Local ULF Chap

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Jan 2013, 05:09

The best benefit of thios morning's insomnia was to visit Craig Tuffin's site.

http://www.craigtuffin.com/

Enjoy!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Re: A Local ULF Chap

Postby RoganJosh » 15 Jan 2013, 10:19

I have respect for his process, but I feel like i've seen this kind of output many times before..

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 15 Jan 2013, 12:42

RoganJosh wrote:I have respect for his process, but I feel like i've seen this kind of output many times before..

I'm a bit perplexed by this comment.

While it doesn't outright and openly do it, it seems critical.

If you are being critical of him/his work by saying you've seen its type before, I'd like to point out that his "process" is a very, very, very small part of ULF work, thus even smaller part of LF, and a drop in an ocean compared to small formats (let alone digital).

I would bet my entire wealth (I use that term loosely) that there are thousands of times the number of 4x5" shots of clouds over water out there compared to LF and ULF ambrotypes. I would put to you that, using your determinant ("...I feel like i've seen this kind of output many times before…"), this is much finer work that you can produce, simply based on these numbers. I know that it's not; however, I have seen this kind of cloud/ocean output many times before.

Surely, we should take his work on its merits, not on what others have done before him?

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 15 Jan 2013, 13:33

Yeah it was critical, but if you can't be critical on an art related forum..where can you be?

If you do a google image search of 'wet plate collodion portraits' you end up with bunch of images that look quite similar to Craig's work (minus the subjects of course). As a pro with many years of experience he should be at least trying something new within the process, maybe pushing the boundaries just a little bit. Though as an amateur with less than a years experience, I'm still enjoying copying the work of people better than me while im still learning. Maybe i'm being over-critical but there isn't a day that goes by that I dont think of ways to make my work markedly different from everyone elses.

As I said I do admire the fact that he is using such a beautiful process. And I do like his self portrait, at least the broken glass is something i've never seen before, it works well with the composition.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 15 Jan 2013, 14:30

Thanks for the link Walter. I checked out the site, was really inspired and sent Mr Tuffin a message of admoration.

Rogan, I must agree with Lachlan, I also feel that your post is critical. However after thinking on it for a couple of hours and trying to formulate a reasoned response, I must say I don't disagree with you.

But what would you suggest as suitable subject matter?

In your follow up post you've written, "Though as an amateur with less than a years experience, I'm still enjoying copying the work of people better than me while im (sic) still learning. Maybe i'm (sic) being over-critical but there isn't a day that goes by that I dont think of ways to make my work markedly different from everyone elses (sic)".

I understand your meaning but I'd caution against copying others even when learning. Surely tis better to be inspired by others and develop your own style.

I have far more than a years experience and I've never consciously attempted to make my work "markedly different", it just is or it isn't, but it is always my vision that compels me.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 15 Jan 2013, 15:52

Cheers for he advice Ray. I should've said 'take inspiration from' rather than 'copy', but at the same time its hard not to copy the landscape masters of the 20th century given how much influence they had on the medium. Also I think it would be rather difficult to progress a certain style until you can master the work of your predecessors.

As for suitable subject matter.. I dont want to think about it, but if wet plate collodion was my artistic livelihood i'd probably think about it all the time. The man has 8x more exposure time than us, thats 8x the creative possibilities right :lol:

Return to “Community Chat”