New large Format Photography group on Flickr

Walter Glover

New large Format Photography group on Flickr

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Feb 2013, 06:39

After a protracted period of no moderating on the large Format group a new group with tighter control has been started:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2176435@N21/
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: New large Format Photography group on Flickr

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Feb 2013, 08:34

Cheers Walter!

I've been a bit slack with Flickr lately. Actually social media and websites in general. It feels like such an effort at times to keep up with everything.

/off-topic rant

I've no idea how some people find the time to promote themselves on twitter, on facebook, on flickr, on instagram, their own website and blog and other outlets I'm sure I'm completely oblivious to. I've got my own website but when I post a blog post to that (one of three) or post photos, I feel like I'm shouting into an empty room so tend not to spend too much time or effort on it. I know promoting yourself takes time and you have to build up an audience but then if I'm working during the day and wanting to take photographs on an evening or weekend plus do other things I'm interested in, where is there time to do anything else?

I'm done! (with my rant)

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Feb 2013, 09:06

Alastair,

I completely concur about social media and the like.

For me, Flickr, is a repository from which I can access files for posting to places like this, when I can be bothered. Nothing more, nothing less. I had made a rare post on Large Format at Flickr expressing my indignation that some turd had posted dozens of iPhone images. Others must have shared my concern because next thing the new group appeared.

All of our life-long endeavours amount to little more than shouting into the void. It should (ideally) be simply our work which generates interest. And that interest would be best served in the tactile world of things rather than the vapour of the cyber world.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Feb 2013, 11:50

The next completely off-topic question would be how do I get my photographs out there for people to see?! An exhibition? Sounds expensive and I'm not sure I have a "body of work" but more individual pieces vaguely related by location (most of the photographs I've taken this year have been shot within 2km of my home).

Return to “Community Chat”