New Landscape Photography

RoganJosh

New Landscape Photography

Postby RoganJosh » 16 Apr 2013, 18:03

This article gives a decent overview of what's going down in modern landscape photography. The links to the next parts are half way down on the right hand side.

It would seem that artists are trying to put more of themselves into their work and less off the landscape...minus Matthew Brandt of course who appears to be physically putting more of the landscape into his :?

http://places.designobserver.com/feature/landscape-photography-new-visions/35298/

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: New Landscape Photography

Postby Alastair Moore » 23 Apr 2013, 16:41

Interesting article but I can't say the images moved me much/at all. I like my landscape photography, and photography in general, to be more emotional and dramatic (although not always dramatic). I thought the images by Marisa Baumgartner in that article were well executed but still they didn't stir anything in me. I hope this isn't what landscape photography in the future looks like, it'll be rather disappointing.

RoganJosh

Re: New Landscape Photography

Postby RoganJosh » 23 Apr 2013, 23:50

Alastair Moore wrote:Interesting article but I can't say the images moved me much/at all. I like my landscape photography, and photography in general, to be more emotional and dramatic (although not always dramatic). I thought the images by Marisa Baumgartner in that article were well executed but still they didn't stir anything in me. I hope this isn't what landscape photography in the future looks like, it'll be rather disappointing.

I agree. These images don't make me feel anything much. I think some of Matthew Brandt's work is very pretty but I don't see much depth in it like I would expect from the landscape masters of the past. Interestingly Brandt was recently named as one of Forbes' 30 under 30 in the arts category and is considered as a leader within modern photography. I guess that says alot about the state of landscape photography atm, it seems to be at an intermediate stage with alot of people trying alot of very different things brought upon by the digital blitz and the urge to have unique work in a genre that traditionally has had little room for individuality. Personally I think the gap between classical and contemporary landscape photography is far too big, and that great possibilities lay somewhere between the two.

Return to “Community Chat”