Drawing a Blank

Walter Glover

Drawing a Blank

Postby Walter Glover » 25 Apr 2013, 23:19

Last weekend I finally got the time to have a day of recreational shooting. I went bush with my recently acquired Hasselblad and shot 3 rolls of FP4+ with rewarding results.

But the 6x6 fostered a yearning to get out with some 4x5 and so I used the public holiday to garner more shooting time. Trouble is: I could not find a bloody thing in the right light or with the right appeal. I drove to Thirlmere and back without exposing a single sheet.

Oh well, it happens.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Drawing a Blank

Postby Alastair Moore » 26 Apr 2013, 10:14

Walter Glover wrote:Last weekend I finally got the time to have a day of recreational shooting. I went bush with my recently acquired Hasselblad and shot 3 rolls of FP4+ with rewarding results.

But the 6x6 fostered a yearning to get out with some 4x5 and so I used the public holiday to garner more shooting time. Trouble is: I could not find a bloody thing in the right light or with the right appeal. I drove to Thirlmere and back without exposing a single sheet.

Oh well, it happens.

I feel your pain. I've been champing at the bit for a couple of weeks now to expose a few sheets but one thing or another has come up. I've brought my camera to work almost every day this week and so far, not fired off a single shot because something has come up at lunchtime. But today shall definitely, definitely be going into the workshop to capture something!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Apr 2013, 10:32

I envy you the workshop!
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 26 Apr 2013, 11:28

Walter Glover wrote:I envy you the workshop!

You should consider popping down here one afternoon or lunchtime! I think it's even open on weekends. Some of the buildings round here are wonderful and the interiors are even more interesting. There is a lot to photograph but as I've spent a fair bit of time around here, I find I'm starting to get blind and probably missing great opportunities. I need fresh eyes!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 26 Apr 2013, 15:22

I finally got out at lunchtime! Captured some of the machinery in the workshop next door. I don't think the images will set the art world alight but there was really nice light coming in and highlighting a part of one of the machines so with a bit of luck it might look quite interesting.

I was shooting with my new Grafmatic. How easy is it? I love it. It's nice and compact, easy to use, I'm very pleased. I bid and won another one on eBay yesterday so that'll save me some room in my camera bag rather than carrying around all those film holders.

Which leads me onto another question. I tend to just use my backpack for day to day photography but am a little concerned about my lenses rattling around in my bag - actually, they don't really rattle, they're generally squashed up against my dark cloth but all the same, I think they need some better protection. Does anyone have any suggestions as regards lens holders/lens cases?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Apr 2013, 22:53

Alastair,

I can vouch for Domke Lens Wraps. I have several — they come in different colours and sizes: 11", 15" and 19".
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 30 Apr 2013, 19:46

Check griffgear.com.au for lens wraps. He's a local AP shooter with an industrial sewing machine.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 30 Apr 2013, 21:58

Coles/Woolworth carry cheap plastic containers (i.e. Tupperware rip-off).

These make great protective containers. Pretty much waterproof, and offer significant impact protection if lined with high density foam. For the foam, I recommend those shitfully uncomfortable hiking rolls.

Return to “Community Chat”