Dusts on Negative

Greenspeed

Dusts on Negative

Postby Greenspeed » 04 May 2013, 11:06

How do you deal with dusts on negative? I am using a Harrison tent to load all my negs and use a blower after loading.

I am so excited with a well developed neg only to be disappointed by dusts "spoiling" the neg.

Obviously no way of removing this on a contact print. Thinking of printing a negative from a scan and use that instead for contact printing.

Walter Glover

Re: Dusts on Negative

Postby Walter Glover » 04 May 2013, 11:31

I find that the vacuum cleaner is my friend.

I have some attachments that fit the hose and are used for computer cleaning — little angled brushes and nozzles that are equally ideal for film holders.

I, too, use a Harrison Jumbo and I give it a good suck out prior to doing any loading. I then have a sequence of vacuuming each double dark; taking particular care to such any crap out of the light trap slot, through which the slide passes.

When I have vacuumed the interior body of the double dark I gently insert the dark slide and run the small vacuum nozzle along the leading edge just as it pokes through. Once the thing is clean I place it in the Harrison tent. I generally load a few double darks at a time so I stack them and then go about loading.

Lately I have been using up a stack of Kodak ReadyLoads of TMX but I do use double darks when I shoot a model, as I shall be doing next Saturday.

The loaded Double Darks are then stored in sealable plastic zipper bags until use.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Greenspeed

Re: Dusts on Negative

Postby Greenspeed » 04 May 2013, 12:00

Thanks Walter. I shall try that.

Return to “Community Chat”