I'm a doofus...

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

I'm a doofus...

Postby Alastair Moore » 06 May 2013, 13:13

but then, so was the lab (a bit!). Was in a rush this morning to get my photos to the lab before work so rather than take them out of the grafmatic and box them up, I just took the grafmatic in. Went to pick them up at lunchtime, and it turns out that I'd given them the grafmatic with my black and white film not the velvia. So they've developed them as E-6 :( Obviously I'm a complete plonker for not giving them the right film but I wonder why they don't check film by its notch code before they develop them?

Walter Glover

Re: I'm a doofus...

Postby Walter Glover » 06 May 2013, 14:40

There probably was a time when the guys loading the racks were aware of the notch codes of films. Not so today, I suspect. Although the style of the notches for color & black and white are quite different.

Mind you, Page 1, Rule 1 is ALWAYS unload the holders before taking them to the lab. Most labs will stuff your holders - particularly Grafmatics - faster than your sync speed.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 06 May 2013, 15:03

Well, that's taught me. I guess it'll have to mean another visit to Laperouse and a wander round Botany Bay National Park this weekend. Not too traumatic but it's still annoying.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 06 May 2013, 15:28

Was there anything on the films when you got them back?

Maybe this is some new Lomo/Emo/Omo/Quando/Quando/Quando style in the making?

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 06 May 2013, 15:44

A faint, ghostly image rather than my beautiful rock details!

Oh, and while I'm having a whinge. Ultrafin Plus from Vanbar - 1 litre of the stuff is $24 but 0.2l of it (which they only had in stock) - $17!

Where do you get your Ultrafin from, Lachlan?

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 06 May 2013, 16:28

Alastair Moore wrote:Ultrafin Plus from Vanbar - 1 litre of the stuff is $24 but 0.2l of it (which they only had in stock) - $17!

I get it from Vanbar in Melbourne in 1 litre bottles. Can't remember the price, but $20-25 seems about right.

Again, though, I use the regular Ultrafin, not the Plus, as I can't be assed with replenishing/refreshing. Just had a look at their on-line stocks, and they seem to have some. Not sure if this is worthwhile after postage...

I have been chatting to another shooter down here, and have mentioned that I should pull my finger out and try Xtol. Given we're coming in to winter, the time when I shoot the most, perhaps I'll try some when the 2+ litres of Ultrafin runs out? 5 litres is only $16...

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 06 May 2013, 16:48

Lachlan717 wrote:
Alastair Moore wrote:Ultrafin Plus from Vanbar - 1 litre of the stuff is $24 but 0.2l of it (which they only had in stock) - $17!

I get it from Vanbar in Melbourne in 1 litre bottles. Can't remember the price, but $20-25 seems about right.

Again, though, I use the regular Ultrafin, not the Plus, as I can't be assed with replenishing/refreshing. Just had a look at their on-line stocks, and they seem to have some. Not sure if this is worthwhile after postage...

I have been chatting to another shooter down here, and have mentioned that I should pull my finger out and try Xtol. Given we're coming in to winter, the time when I shoot the most, perhaps I'll try some when the 2+ litres of Ultrafin runs out? 5 litres is only $16...

I've got some Xtol that needs mixing up - I should definitely be trying that out this week along side my DD-X and my tiny bottle of Ultrafin Plus. I'll start tonight. I've got some flowers in the house which are beginning to die nicely.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 06 May 2013, 21:01

Have you read up on refreshing Xtol?

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 07 May 2013, 12:57

Lachlan717 wrote:Have you read up on refreshing Xtol?

I know nothing of this sorcery!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 07 May 2013, 13:59

Alastair Moore wrote:
Lachlan717 wrote:Have you read up on refreshing Xtol?

I know nothing of this sorcery!

Here's a good start:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1150 ... tions.html

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 9/j109.pdf

Don't give up on the Ultrafin. At $25, you'll get between 10 and 30 litres from the 1 litre bottle. As I use it at 1:20, that's just over a buck per litre. I'm okay with that, and I know the results. I have a pack of D76 around somewhere that I bought about 3 years ago. Never felt the need to try it…

Don't forget, this is just my opinion on my favourite developer. Others will definitely have their own ideas on theirs'. Also, I don't use T Grain films, so I can't comment on how T Max/Delta goes in this soup.

Return to “Community Chat”