Building your own motorised roller base for development?

L2obin

Building your own motorised roller base for development?

Postby L2obin » 31 May 2013, 23:35

After seeing my second Cibacrome motor base die, (probably due to overloading of motor), I have decided that its time to try and build something more robust myself.

In addition to just having a more robust rotation, I would like to also add some features which I wish the roller base always had. These include;

1. The ability to choose speed of rotation

2. The ability to alternate direction of spin every set time interval

3. The ability to vary the spacing of rollers in order to accommodate various sized drums

Buying a motor and connecting it to a roller is not a problem. However, I am wondering how I could achieve the speed of spin control, and the alternating direction of spin for a set time interval? Would anyone electrically/mechanically minded be able to help direct me to the right type of parts needed to achieve this?

Walter Glover

Re: Building your own motorised roller base for development?

Postby Walter Glover » 31 May 2013, 23:46

I think gearing could govern the rotation speed. I dare say there are interval timers that reverse polarity available. I am thinking washing machine bits.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 01 Jun 2013, 06:44

Have a look at windscreen wiper motors.

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 02 Jun 2013, 00:22

I thought maybe an old treadmill should provide all the circuitry for speed changes...

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 04 Jun 2013, 08:43

RS Components has a large array of small motors and controllers which could suit. Even look at Jaycar, they have gears and bits too.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Jun 2013, 09:04

Again, I'd recommend windscreen wipers. They come with a reverse function built in.

Additionally, you could look at a rotisserie motor from a BBQ. This will be strong enough for most drums.

boinzo

Postby boinzo » 05 Jun 2013, 13:09

I'm keen on this too. Currently trying to locate a replacement motor for my rapidly dying CPE-2!!
I have one more run to coax it through and then I'm ripping it apart and I'm going to try to modify it!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 07 Jun 2013, 14:44

Lachlan717 wrote:Again, I'd recommend windscreen wipers. They come with a reverse function built in.

Additionally, you could look at a rotisserie motor from a BBQ. This will be strong enough for most drums.

I brought one of them (rotisserie motor from a BBQ) to make a rotary roller a couple of years ago, very noisy. Well the one I got from the big green hardware store was. Battery operated too, but easy enough to convert to plug pack. Never when through with it, got a simaroller instead for less money then the parts to build one.

boinzo

Postby boinzo » 07 Jun 2013, 17:47

My motor finally died yesterday. I have found what I think will work as a replacement motor for my Jobo at Jaycar. I also ordered a variable speed controller for it to replace the old Jobo crunch switch. I'll let everyone know how I go with it! Should be here early next week.

Return to “Community Chat”