Rekindling old passion

Walter Glover

Rekindling old passion

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Jun 2013, 08:54

Well, I have not shot a model in the studio with B&W since last December. But all that changes this morning.

Last night as I pre-set the studio for what I have in mind I was reminded most powerfully of just how much joy this entire craft affords.

I have 36 sheets of TMY loaded and the Jobo has had something of an enema in anticipation of its tasks.

How blessed to have discovered at the age of 7 what I wanted to do and that 57 years later it is still just as exciting as it ever was.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

L2obin

Re: Rekindling old passion

Postby L2obin » 02 Jun 2013, 00:24

Lets see the results =}

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Jun 2013, 06:38

L2obin wrote:Lets see the results =}

Probably not likely as I do not post nudes on forums.

But it was a steep learning curve sort of shoot. I shot 12 sheets as a warm up and then switched to the Hasselblad. I never went back to the Sinar. I have to ponder deeply just what I prioritise for the shots and part of that will be on comparing resultant scans.

Big question mark over the LF at the moment. Processing a large number of shots is another factor.

Time for meditation and contemplation.

The model also found working with the Hasselblad more enjoyable and much more fluid.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Jun 2013, 18:57

Well, the good thing about a drenched Sunday is that it gives time for reflection ..... and cleaning all the glass — lenses and filters.

Now they're all shiny and bright, I wonder what I can point them at?
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 10 Jun 2013, 17:42

What a difference a week makes ......

The film was processed and the results scrutinised. The motif which I have pursued for a few years now makes the choice for the future patently clear. The medium format just fails to cut the mustard. No comparison.

Shot another frail maiden this morning and only used 4x5. I suspect that the Hasselblad may well go on Ebay with considerable alacrity.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 11 Jun 2013, 11:09

Walter Glover wrote:What a difference a week makes ......

The film was processed and the results scrutinised. The motif which I have pursued for a few years now makes the choice for the future patently clear. The medium format just fails to cut the mustard. No comparison.

Shot another frail maiden this morning and only used 4x5. I suspect that the Hasselblad may well go on Ebay with considerable alacrity.

I'm glad to hear you're coming back round!

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 11 Jun 2013, 11:23

Frail maiden, love it.

thoughtfactory

Postby thoughtfactory » 11 Jun 2013, 22:41

"I suspect that the Hasselblad may well go on Ebay with considerable alacrity."

It's a good walk around camera Walter.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Jun 2013, 23:18

thoughtfactory wrote:It's a good walk around camera Walter.

Don't I know it, and mighty handy in the studio also.

I may have been apportioning the blame somewhat incorrectly. The neg carrier for the Epson scanner might actually be the culprit.

I just finished processing the last 12 of 36 sheets of TMY that I shot of a model on Monday. The way I shoot with LF is markedly different and suits my motif very well. But that is not to say that I can't pursue a different dream. You see, I really do like square pictures — particularly of people. So the Swede might not go on Ebay after all.

And a waist level finder is a very tasty way to encounter the world. But so too is the ground glass.

Maybe with the WLF I would not have made the boo-bvoo I made on Monday. Shot some sheets with the 150mm. Applied a bit of rise but neglected to adjust the compendium hood so there's a spot of vignetting along the top of the frame. I feel a spot of cropping looming.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Community Chat”