Economical international postage options?

L2obin

Economical international postage options?

Postby L2obin » 02 Jun 2013, 10:28

I have just sent a 3.2 kg box to Sweden and to my shocking surprise it costed $102 just for the basic air mail service!!!

Are there any cheaper options when it comes to sending packages overseas?

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Economical international postage options?

Postby Alastair Moore » 02 Jun 2013, 12:25

Other than shipping by sea - and even that isn't very cheap - I'd be surprised if there is any other option. I've compared AusPost with the likes of UPS, TNT, DHL etc. and to be honest, it's as cheap as any of those and usually quite a bit cheaper. Sometimes it works out cheaper to split the package into smaller packages and send them individually. For example, I sent my Cambo 8x10 to the buyer in Perth and if I'd packed it all in one (big) box, it would have been over $100. However, splitting the rail and the main camera parts into two packages (I put the rail in a poster tube), the postage came down to $35 for the camera and $18 for the rail. Basically if you've got any space in the box that isn't being used by what you're sending (or by the padding) then you're paying for that space.

L2obin

Re: Economical international postage options?

Postby L2obin » 03 Jun 2013, 06:34

Thnx for the tip. But honestly I do not understand the justification for such high prices. They are shocking!

Return to “Community Chat”